aaa o.s. - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: o.s.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             05-Dec-01  @  03:37 AM   -   o.s.

dave_outland

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm about to upgrade my operating system this weekend, I currently have '98. The programs I want to run are Acid 3, Sonar, Reason, Fruity Loops, Vegas, and Soundforge. Has anyone got any suggestions on either Windows 2000 or Xp?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             05-Dec-01  @  03:40 AM   -   RE: o.s.

dave_outland

I did read the previous post about xp, but some friends who work with audio swear by it already.

Message 3/9             05-Dec-01  @  11:02 AM   -   RE: o.s.

bedwyr

Link?: Link

is everything working as it is now? why upgrade? personally i'd go for xp over 2000. try setting it up as dual boot 98/xp to start with maybe. then you can see if your main programs work ok. (this will use up a lot of disk space but might save you some trouble if all is not well.) don't convert your drives to ntfs just in case. i dunno if this is good advice but i'm wary of doing anything that would upset a working system. if you decide to upgrade from 98 straight to xp, when it's installing it might stop for a long time, makeing you think it's crashed. we just went down the pub for a pint, then it was fine. funny that. ;)

ps make sure you've got all the latest drivers, and bios etc. before you start, saves a lot of fiddling.

Message 4/9             05-Dec-01  @  02:09 PM   -   RE: o.s.

99devils

Just last weekend I upgraded from Win98SE w/ Cakewalk9 to Windows XP with Sonar. The box is a Gateway 700mhz Athlon, sound card is a DSP Factory.

What can I say? Setup was easy as all hell. In fact, the machine upgraded itself while I was at work. For real - the install can run without supervision. Sonar set up no problem, imported my Cake 9 settings. Everything's honkey-dorey. I haven't run into any timing problems or anything yet. I'll be mixing down some stuff I've been working on this week/this weekend, about 16 tracks of audio and 10 tracks of MIDI. I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

So far 100% stable.

-Craig

Message 5/9             05-Dec-01  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: o.s.

dARKSTATe

M$ have got to craig!!!

Oh fuck me no..... noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Who will be next to fall....

Message 6/9             05-Dec-01  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: o.s.

influx

Link?:  Link

why bother? if what you have is working, stick with it.

Message 7/9             06-Dec-01  @  03:12 PM   -   RE: o.s.

99devils

If you are working in a Cakewalk product and you have speedy hardware on Win98 the better latency and vastly improved stability of XP/2k is enough benefit. ASIO has I guess solved the latency issue for Cubase/Logic users..

I don't work for Microsoft   I'll be the first to dump on 'em when they release a shitty product - like IIS, Active Server Pages, Access, this is a long list - but XP and Win2k do what they claim. They are stable and efficient. I've been doing database and web development on a laptop running Windows 2000 for over a year with NOT ONE CRASH EVER!!!! When I used 95 I was rebooting several times a day. At one point I hadn't rebooted my box in three weeks. We have Win2k boxes here that have been up for over a year without a crash or re-boot  

It's the real deal.. Something about credit where credit's due...

Message 8/9             06-Dec-01  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: o.s.

Brett B

Sonar users should look into egosys. They make the best damn wdm drivers around. It's a universal driver for asio,wdm,mme etc. called ewdm. I have a dsp factory and 11ms doesn't cut it for me. www.egosys.com, they have new stuff coming out as well.

Message 9/9             08-Dec-01  @  08:49 AM   -   RE: o.s.

GT

Gotta pipe in for those who might be stuck between a choice:

Win2k and Sonar - I'm using a Frontier Design PCI card at 1.5ms.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)