aaa What are your opinions on Windows XP? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: What are your opinions on Windows XP?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             02-Mar-01  @  05:15 PM   -   What are your opinions on Windows XP?

syprik

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Do you guys think the switch over to the new OS (Windows XP aka Whistler) will be an easy task? Do you think all the soundcard and software teams/companies have been preparing for it's arrival? I'm so excited to get this bull crap Win98SE off my system and get into XP. Win2k is not a good solution at this point for me since good WDM supported sound cards are hard to come by...I'm running a Delta 1010 and it's snap crackle and pop in Win2k. Plus midi timing is not tremendous.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             02-Mar-01  @  09:51 PM   -   RE: What are your opinions on Windows XP?

99devils

Link?:  No link

You obviously don't know much about XP,
then...   XP is based on the Win2K
core and will put a bullet in the head
of the 95/98/ME line of OSes.

The driver support will come. The
multimedia support will come. I will
move to XP. Probably not immediately,
but very shortly thereafter.

I have an MSDN subscription at work, and
I fully plan on testing the beta at
home. I'll let you know what I find out.

-Craig

Message 3/9             02-Mar-01  @  11:52 PM   -   RE: What are your opinions on Windows XP?

CK

The answer to the first two questions is no and no. Why, well hardware vendors hate writing and debuging driver! But it isn't even properly in beta yet and probably won't be released until early next year. Allow another year to 18 months and then it will probably start to look very attractive, by which time you might want a new PC to run Reactor 5 etc.

Message 4/9             11-Mar-01  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: What are your opinions on Windows XP?

JT

Most hardware vendors have WDM drivers already so check if you can find those drivers for your hardware you should have not trouble move to win2k or XP when it comes out. XP is based on Win2k so it will use WDM drivers too.

Message 5/9             13-Mar-01  @  03:45 AM   -   RE: What are your opinions on Windows XP?

Mackenzie

Get a Mac. With support for mLAN protocol, the upcoming OS X will be the tops for music apps. As for Windows, seems to me that Microsoft cannot decide which version to develop on. ME is crap. 2K is excellent but not for music apps. So where does that leave Windows musicians?

Message 6/9             13-Mar-01  @  04:30 AM   -   RE: What are your opinions on Windows XP?

teknisian

There is no guarentee that OS X based on UNIX will be tops for music apps. A good friend of mine writes code for Mac out of Apple CA, and he feels there might be issues with this upcoming release. It is a good estimate that the OS will not be steam rolled free of problems within a good 10-14months...which is the time Win2k/XP will be up and running with promising excellent audio support.

I don't understand why you think win2k will not be good for music apps...as far as I know, Microsoft has worked with many soundcard/audio software companies to work around the Kmixer (kernal responsible for synchronization of data) in Win2k. Midi timing is still being ironed out, but looks very promising according tech support responses from soundcard manufacturers.

"So where does that leave Windows musicians?" ...well it leaves us in the slow lane for a bit, but it is quite obvious that in general the PC and Microsoft OS's (not the 9x kernal os) are gaining tremendous ground on Macintosh, likely to supercede it in the very near future. The software available to PC users is astounding, and just keeps growing.

What about Mac users with the new 133mhz FSB? I've heard many many issues from the latest Mac step up in technology.

Mac is great for running Pro-Tools TDM systems...but the costs are not logical for many people.

All in all, I hope to have Logic Platinum 5.0/Logic Control (by Mackie) running smoothly on Win2k by this upcoming Fall. It looks very promising.

However, if OS X turns out to be a real killer system, I may infact go with a dual G4 rig. Are all softwares ready for OS X? Logic Audio ready for it?

Let me know. Havent been keeping track with MAC for a while.

Message 7/9             28-Mar-01  @  05:00 PM   -   RE: What are your opinions on Windows XP?

rilla

I've been using XP (build 2446) for a while now, and have 2462/beta2 downloading now  

First impressions are very good - it seems quite a lot more stable than the 98 shite that im used to  .. only problem with it is that it seems to distort all my sound   (see other post)

The new GUI borders between stunningly nice looking and annoying.. there are a couple of small bugs, but that can be expect, seeing as its a beta..

If anyone wants a *cough* preview, feel free to contact me (rilla@gmx.co.uk).. I dont personally see it as 'warez', as its not even released yet, and i'll end up buying the full version anyway

Message 8/9             28-Mar-01  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: What are your opinions on Windows XP?

rilla

I've been using XP (build 2446) for a while now, and have 2462/beta2 downloading now  

First impressions are very good - it seems quite a lot more stable than the 98 shite that im used to  .. only problem with it is that it seems to distort all my sound   (see other post)

The new GUI borders between stunningly nice looking and annoying.. there are a couple of small bugs, but that can be expect, seeing as its a beta..

If anyone wants a *cough* preview, feel free to contact me (rilla@gmx.co.uk).. I dont personally see it as 'warez', as its not even released yet, and i'll end up buying the full version anyway

Message 9/9             28-Mar-01  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: What are your opinions on Windows XP?

rilla

Heh, i really should proof read

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)