aaa K - How's hoontech? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: K - How's hoontech?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Original Message                 Date: 15-Aug-00  @  02:57 AM   -   K - How's hoontech?

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Well... everything still going well? I think i'll have mine tomorrow...
Few quick comments. It's 250 quid here, which is even cheaper than thomann.de (anyone used thomann?)

thanx

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 81/117             03-Sep-00  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

Defector Z

Hey Claus,

Question for you.

In another thread, k said that Hoontech would not recommend using a VIA chipset with a Hoontech sound card. What is the conflict, and is anything being done to alleviate that problem?

Message 82/117             04-Sep-00  @  01:23 AM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

I'm *very* interested in previous question... ;)

Message 83/117             04-Sep-00  @  03:59 AM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

adams04

Hi Claus
Can you tell me how the DSP24 runs with Gigasampler?
Which version do i need?
Is the DSP24 "multi-client"?
If it isn,t,how would Gigasampler run with vst ?
Can you confirm price of DSP24 in France?
This is the system with a breakout -box,not just the 2 pc cards?
I,m very impressed with its power,and it would be ideal for me,if i could use Gigasampler.Oh and how would Gigasampler appear in VST?Just in Audio??

Thanx very much ;
Guru.

Message 84/117             04-Sep-00  @  05:50 AM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

Link?: Link

This is what i know:

check out above link there's some info on gigasampler and dsp24. And some pictures too...
www.thomann.de is selling it for the lowest price i've found in europe. (i'm not sure if they deliver to France. Britain and Finland yes...)

There's one card, daughterboard (doesn't need slot, just the hole back of your tower) and breakoutbox/rack.

Message 85/117             04-Sep-00  @  12:01 PM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

k

if you are using a NON rewire synth, you can allocate the cards Monitor outs to run it thru as it sync's to VST, that way you can ultilise all 8 rack OUT's if required and still use the card l/r out to work with your s/w synth, then record the stream output, and import the file into vst after composition... or you could allocate 6 out's to VST (3 pairs) and another rack pair to your non-rewire s/w synth -

dizzy mate i didnt get that mail - but yes i can supply you - try mailing me again, i was away last week, and when i retured for some strange reason some of the mails were corrupted.. mebbe it was that - my mail is kilo@realitycom.com

Guru mate the hoontech IS multiclient in that you can allocate it's drivers to different proggies... when using VST in stereo ASIO mode you have in effect lots of spare drivers to allocate to s/w synths or editor etc... so that 9is no probs... where the synth is Rewire, it just appears in the vst mixer - (hurry up Fruity-Loops and GET REWIRED !!!) - - I suppose theoretically, you could loop the Reactor out's to the rack In's direct, and they should then appear in the vst mixer, but that will add some latency... and you'd need to reserve 2 outs for playback, and 2 In's for routing it back IN to the vst mixer

the VIA sets i cant answer the specific - but there is one thing i was thinking - you say (Ville) you are running 8 rack outs playing from ACID tracks, and at the same time as they are playing, you are trying to record the hardware mix BACK into the pc on Input 1 & 2 on the rack - The thing is, rack channels 1 & 2 are already playing BACK audio, so in effect you are asking them to play and record at the same time, which i dunno is a good idea in this scenario..

what happens if you mix down from ACID to 6 outs (3-8) and then try to record back into the Rack via Inputs 1 & 2 ?? - does it make any difference wether the rack out's are playing & recording at the same time ?.. does it work if you record to TWO Out's that are NOT playing back ?

or.... have you tried to mix OUT of the 8 rack out's, then record IN thru the DSP cards stereo L/R input ? - if that works it may be the best bet for what YOU are doing to playback from rack 1-8, then record at the same time to the digital ST s/pdif IN, in that case if it worked ok all you'd need to invest in is a small cheap Stereo L/R ADC box with s/pdif OUT to route your audio master L/R mixer OUT down to the Hoontech L/R s/pdif IN L/R - (i say that as a adc box coupled to the hoontechs s/pdif IN's would prolly be better quality than recording to the stereo minijack Card input.. better connectors & adc etc) -

but theoretically you should be able to record to the stereo card IN's... Try it and see what happens wether either of those suggestions let's you playback & record at the same time in the way you are trying it - see if the dac's are playing back audio how can they also record without pop's - i will say tho in VST on my test box hoontech rack plays OUT from OUT 1 & 2 ok as it also records on the channel I & 2 IN's... so mebbe it IS that VIA set ??... anyways try those setups and tell me if it goes .

Message 86/117             04-Sep-00  @  12:22 PM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

jdifool

Hi claus, so the answer for the 'virtual ports' is no...Shame. It shouldn't be difficult to do.
For the VST plug equivalent, I don't agree with you since, for example, the VST version of Reaktor is very limited compare to the standalone (no possible ensemble edition for example, that's a lot!) and there is no VST version of VAZ... Compare to those, all the VST instruments available look a bit like toys to me (even if some have a good sound).
OK, for the softsynth who support ASIO, an separate output on a ADA2000 can be used... But these simple fact would force me to buy a mixer. A bit of a non-sens as, in these project, I want to use the hoontech as a mixer. The use of the monitoring output can't even be considered as a solution, let say a workaround. And last but not least I was thinking for the ADCIII only as an interface, but this my problem...
Or maybe, yes!! Can I route internally an output to an input of the card??? that could do the trick...

Anyway, thank's for the info.

Message 87/117             04-Sep-00  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

point being

yea, or you could ta|

Message 88/117             04-Sep-00  @  01:06 PM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

adams04

Thanx K
I just don,t have enough cash for a hw sampler too.Thats why i want to know about Gigastudio.The driver updates don,t sound too convincing as,apparently,vst won,t run with the Asio drivers and Gigastudio.
I,m currently checking Aark,Sek,d and Egosys.Oh and the Delta,but that needs Hubis.
I think the Wami rack may now have got a fix;and i,m waiting to hear from Sek,d.
The most popular ,reliable choice seems to be the Aark.
I already have a 32 midi track software card based sampler that works ok,so i want to upgrade ,not start bug finding etc.
Hope Hoontech can tell us the whole story.

Cheers Guru.

Message 89/117             04-Sep-00  @  02:54 PM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

k

no no - you can monitor the softsynth at the same time as vst audio using the rack headphones or audio out cos you can sum all the drivers to a single stereo OUT.... but you just cant integrate into VST mixer unless you route IN to the rack using the asio drivers (to get any realtime fx) - This is NOT hoontech's fault, but just cos the giga etc dont integrate into vst - so without hoontech (or any other multi-I/O card), you would still need another pair of audio drivers to monitor both proggies at once - it's just a compromise for working with seperate programmes - there is no way round it...

Message 90/117             04-Sep-00  @  04:12 PM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

adams04

Aah,so u calling Gsampler a sw synth.
OK.
So i,d still be just using vst on audio files like i can now?
Using Gsampler with dsp24 instead of the hsp64 and its sampler?
Well,i could still route the audio outs back to my mixer and add fx there right?
For what i,m expecting cash -wise,the hoontech is so great,if the easi drivers are ok.I just sampled a lot of Chic guitars so that and maybe drums too are all i need a sampler for now.
I have 64 voices on the XP30 .
I really just want sampling and an ability to have a more seperate mix,different fx ,etc.
I,m getting the MOFX midi sync fx box in hardware,then a little YammieMX12/4,which seems very versatile.Then i,ll add the poontech and Gsampler,with finally that upgrade to the Celery 566@850.
This will give me a lot more mixing options ,fx in real time and more stability.
FYI; i had an Isis with Asio,but i still prefer my older card on MME.I didn,t notice a difference,tho i didn,t test the audio ...
I can get the s^pootech 4 under 400quid so thats cool.
Gsampler have a new version so i choose the 96 voice 32 channel,thats way big enough 4 me.Its got fx and filters now.
Still,i was quite happy just using Cool 2000 last week.

Have to phone on a swap deal in Paris tomorrow.
Hope to have this achieved by Xmas.

Cheers Guru.ps _will u still mail me about my cd? i,d very much like some comments on the mix.Also,if anyone u know is interested in publishing?..;.;

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

There are 117 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)