aaa Ok, here it is...! - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Ok, here it is...!

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             08-Jan-04  @  10:06 AM   -   Ok, here it is...!

BOO

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

(GASP)

I've finally thrown together a vocal edit of 'Grind'. As I mentioned before, I went
to a club in LA and watched a guy just walk up onto the stage and start
freestyling blues over a small band playing Italian standards. I was amazed by
his performance - It just came so easy to him. Very laid back. I was slightly
drunk and decided to ask him if he'd like to do some vocals for a techno track
and he surprised me by saying yes. After a month of messing about and playing
phone tag, we got together and did this and a couple of other tracks. I played the
orignal 'Grind' (Still downloadable from my DT page) and he freestyled over the
top for about 4 takes. I later pieced some interesting bits toghether and this is
the result:

http://www.dancetech.com/~BOO

Grind (Rough Vocal Edit 01)

I'm calling it house. It's got a definate groove to it, but has a much darker sound
and I'm pretty fond of that, especially when it has soulful vocals.

Thanks to everybody on here that listened to the original, critiqued it and
encouraged me. Also, thanks to whoever keeps track voting for my stuff!   I
hope you like this version as much as the original.

Sorry to gush like this. It's 2:07 am and I've just got this done. I'm pretty happy
to get this version finished and out on the web...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             08-Jan-04  @  12:03 PM     Edit: 08-Jan-04  |  12:05 PM   -   RE: Ok, here it is...!

RagnarOk

just listening...

Hmmm, i feel the vocal part sounds a bit quiet, but the combination of voice / synth leads are great! I also like the groove of the track pretty much. The start of the breakdown around 5:30 is a bit odd, like if the cymball would be a bit out of time (?). Apart from this, I can only say it's quite decent stuff, I like it!

(cool effect on the vocal at the end btw.)

Message 3/12             08-Jan-04  @  01:37 PM   -   RE: Ok, here it is...!

Maarten

Link?:  Link

Agreed, some of the vocals at the start seem to far in the back.. better later on in the track tho. I realy like this... reminds me of the stuff on those Dr. Lectroluv compilations, would fit right in. Having said that.. maybe you should send this out. I could take a bunch of label names off the comp cd I mentioned if you want...
Would you guys fancy an electro remix?   Cause I really dig those vocals.

Message 4/12             08-Jan-04  @  07:29 PM   -   RE: Ok, here it is...!

milan

nice one Boo... esp. happy how you managed to deal with the voice recording... good singers sometimes use such techniques like you described... but i'm sure psy could advise you much better on that...

the track definitely grooves... i found myself rocking my shoulders and nodding my head while listening to it in the background. cant really say anything bad about it... so i'll leave it to the real house heads ;) mebbe just beef up some sounds to fill up the mix or something... how about some percussions in the background? i keep on thinking it could use something in the background... mebbe not. its nice, definitely. big up!

Message 5/12             08-Jan-04  @  08:24 PM   -   RE: Ok, here it is...!

mcc>

Link?:  No link

VERY cool boo.
don't raise the vocals so much as perhaps turn down the one cool/weird percussive sound which permeates the track....maybe close the filter or hit the lo-bandpass on that.
bring up the low-end on his voice to give him a little more presence....& intimacy.
reminds me of morel~....one of the few guys who can get away with this sort of stuff.

very sweet track.

let it baste and stew.....and play with the way it sounds a bit.
be very careful. you've basically got it here.
just don't play it for any women.

Message 6/12             08-Jan-04  @  08:39 PM   -   RE: Ok, here it is...!

Yonce N Mild

Very nice, I don't think the vocal needs brought up............it kinda gives that dark smokey blusey feel to the track. Don't let the vocals take the focus to much away from the rest of the track .......which is excellent on it's own. Excellent track BOO keep it up. I would love a hi-fi of this one !

Message 7/12             08-Jan-04  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: Ok, here it is...!

Moujik

Yeah man.... this is excellent. Wouldn't change anything myself.

No wonder you're pleased!

Message 8/12             09-Jan-04  @  02:30 AM   -   RE: Ok, here it is...!

Garuna

Very, very nice man.

Fancy a club mix?

Message 9/12             09-Jan-04  @  05:43 PM   -   RE: Ok, here it is...!

Boo

Wow! Best response ever! To my stuff, anyway...

I'm making a list of tweaks and stuff. I want this to be 'correct', but not perfect.

RagnarOk - Thanks, man. The effect on the vocal at the end is just an extreme EQ setting to give it a telephone filter effect. Apart from EQ, the signal is dry as it can be.

Maarten, yeah, I'd love a list of labels you think might like this stuff. I need to get at least one track out there before I kick the bucket.   An electro remix would be nice...

milan, yeah, it needs a few filler noises. Little sweeps and percussive fillers and things in the background. Cheers, man. And yes, Psy's ears would definately be welcome here.

mcc> Bring the bass back in his vocal. Sounds good, but I'd be scared of muddying up the low end a bit there. I'd have to be really careful.

Yonce N Mild - I'll send you a link to a hifi version if you email me.   Thanks for liking...

Moujik, thanks guy. Wouldn't change anything? There must be something wrong with it...  

Garuna, Thanks man. A club remix? Why not? I loved 'The Res'. If you can hook me up with a hifi version of that sometime...  

Thanks again, you guys. I'll give my ears a rest from it for a week or so, then I'll go in and tweak with fresh, impartial ears.

Message 10/12             12-Jan-04  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: Ok, here it is...!

Boo

My God - I'm number #1...

This is a first. I won't be there for long, I'm sure. I'd better soak up the glory
while I can!

Maybe I should stop voting for the track now????

Weeeee....

Message 11/12             12-Jan-04  @  05:40 PM   -   RE: Ok, here it is...!

mcc>

definitely be a little scared of muddying it up.
but try peeping morel's song true~
the faggot is you......a perfect example of what i'm talking about.

perhaps my fave hard-house track ever with male vocals.
you'll probably wanna tighten the compression too.

Message 12/12             12-Jan-04  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: Ok, here it is...!

Boo

Yeah, I grabbed Morel's album a while back. Love that Track. Nice album, but I definately prefer the house tracks on it. I've got a lot to learn when it comes to vocals.

As far as compression and wotnot, I haven't even started doing any serious mix work with it yet. I played it in the car today and found the bass is a bit over powering, so I'd better get to it soon.

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)