aaa MESSAGE FOR INFLUX - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             21-May-04  @  01:33 PM   -   MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

OMO

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hello Influx,

I've just uploaded four new tracks per your request. These are all going to be scheduled for airplay in the coming weeks. Three of them are breaks. They've lost something in the encoding, but should sound okay through monitors or cans. I hope you like them. Everybody else is welcome to listen as well, and any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Omo.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             21-May-04  @  08:27 PM   -   RE: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

influx

Link?:  Link

"Deadlock"

got a very 80s feel to it. The bit reduced break is the only part that would really qualify as "breaks" on a floor, but...as far as listening music goes...different story.

Id have to hear it hifi but some of the drums sound kinda canned. I like snappy poppy kicks and snares. might just be down to preference

that scratching...is off. If thats intentional, leave it. If not...fix it 

Ill listen to the others later

Message 3/15             22-May-04  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

Omo

The scratching was accidental. I was trying to create a sound and came up with it, thought it sounded interesting, and used it, so I guess I'll have to fix it. It wasn't a sample, it came out of an MDA JX10. Just one thing though, why is scratching off limits? It seems to crop up a lot, sometimes in the most unexpected tracks.

The drums are samples from an acoustic kit, there's a bunch of different acoustic kits included in Orion, which maybe why they sound a bit canned. More recently though it's become a lot easier to change the velocity, pitch etc in Orion. So now you can get them sounding less "canned".

I gave up trying to write tracks for the dance floor about a year ago. I've sorta gone my own way now, so it's my interpretation of beats. I don't think I'm temprementally suited to writing any kind of dance music in it's strict form. I seem to get on better when I just let things drift.

Message 4/15             22-May-04  @  12:03 PM   -   RE: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

k

yes OMO - i was listening to some of your stuff early this morning by coincidence - it's really got something imo.

Message 5/15             23-May-04  @  12:48 AM   -   RE: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

Omo

Thanks K, I appreciate that. Yes, it is a bit different to when I was using the handle Cloud Nine a couple of years ago. Something seems to have clicked.

Message 6/15             23-May-04  @  02:46 AM   -   RE: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

Broken Silence

Ive got a message for influx..Look at the gorgeous virus in my setup!!

Message 7/15             23-May-04  @  10:39 AM   -   RE: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

influx

heh. i noticed the studio pics popped up again...Ive truly been avoiding DT and other forums actually.

just busy tryin to put together a live set. Since most of my studio stuff is audio sequencing, Im having to write completely new shit in midi, so...BUSY

anyway..omo...you were cloud nine? I remember. So vague tho! Am I getting old?

scratching: DEFINITELY not off limits, but (as I see it) it MUST sound TIGHT or not happen at all. MOst people would agree

as for writing for the dancefloor: FCK IT! Dont bother! Write what comes to you. Work on structure and flow, etc, and if you can get it to work on a floor AND at home with a pair of headphones on, all the better, otherwise, pick what you prefer. There's a happy middle ground but its very hard to find Ive learned

the stuff Im doing for this live set is ALL geared toward makin people smile and shake their asses, simply because I know the crowd and venue, and thats whats expected. I dont want chin stroking and head nodding. I want titties bouncing and booties shakin, so...thats where Im at right now

but truly, honestly, I want to write MUSIC, not "dance music" and...after this, thats what im focusing on. Unless of course I get more live gigs 

Message 8/15             25-May-04  @  12:19 AM   -   RE: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

Omo

Thanks for listening Influx. I'm going to work on that scratching in Deadlock, and see if I can't tighten it up. Good luck with the live set btw. It's made me think - what the hell am I going to do if I have to play live at any time? I'm either going to have to learn to use some hardware pretty snappy, or try and think how I can use the software in a live performance. Food for thought!

I'll be very interested in hearing what you write outside of dance music.

Message 9/15             25-May-04  @  02:48 AM   -   RE: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

influx

no...thisll be dance music still. very simple, minimal breakbeat stuff

as for using software in a "live" situation....the new standard is Ableton LIVE. Ive only just looked at it briefly, but it sure seems powerful, and stable too!

Message 10/15             25-May-04  @  01:23 PM   -   RE: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

And you still trust taking an X86 based box running Window$ for live stuff? Brave, brave man..

Message 11/15             25-May-04  @  10:41 PM   -   RE: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

influx

no, I trust taking a yamaha RS7000 and an Access Virus indigo 

Message 12/15             26-May-04  @  08:44 AM   -   RE: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

Good lad! U don't wanna be relying on any of that Ableton Live malarky only for windows to rear-end you with a BlueScreenDildoOfDeath!

Message 13/15             26-May-04  @  06:29 PM   -   RE: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

Omo

I had a look at Abeton Live, can't make head nor tail of it! I think if I ever have to do a live set I'll learn to use hardware a bit quick.

Message 14/15             27-May-04  @  03:03 AM   -   RE: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

Boo

Ableton is fooking awesome. Best thing ever for jamming with mates and playing out live. You can even use it as a DAW, albeit a pretty limited one. Love being able to launch clips and record it as a sequence.

But like dARKSTATe sez, I wouldn't want to risk a live show with windaz, though.

Message 15/15             27-May-04  @  03:34 AM   -   RE: MESSAGE FOR INFLUX

mcc>

darkstate called ableton live malarky!
har har.

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)