aaa Powell interview cut...... - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Powell interview cut......

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 16-May-04  @  06:41 PM     Edit: 16-May-04  |  06:44 PM   -   Powell interview cut......

dissonance

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

BLEEP THE PRESS: CAMERA MOVED OFF POWELL DURING RUSSERT GRILLING; AIDE ATTEMPTED TO CUT OFF INTERVIEW
Sun May 16 2004 10:45:35 ET
**Exclusive Details**

An aide to Sec. of State Colin Powell ordered a halt to a MEET THE PRESS interview and directed a camera to shoot a palm tree during provocative questioning by host Tim Russert!

Powell was being interview by satellite from Jordan.

State Department press aide Emily Miller fumed as Tim Russert went beyond the 10 minutes allotted for the NBC Sunday session.

MORE

13 minutes in to the interview, Miller attempted to pull the plug.

As Russert grilled Powell on his presentation at the UN of Iraq's alleged WMDs -- Miller moved the single remote camera off Powell.

"You're off," Miller announced.

"I am not off," Powell warned.

"No. They can't use it, they're editing it..." Miller said on an open microphone.

"Emily, get out of the way. Bring the camera back please," the secretary snapped.

MORE

Russert aired the exchange unedited.

Powell was 45 minutes late to the taping, a top source explained.

NBC's MEET THE PRESS joined in progress....

TIM RUSSERT: Finally, Mr. Secretary, in February of 2003, you placed your enormous personal credibility before the United Nations and laid out a case against Saddam Hussein, citing.

(Camera moved off of interview subject)

EMILY MILLER, STATE DEPARTMENT PRESS AIDE: You're off.

SECRETARY POWELL: I am not off.

EMILY MILLER, PRESS AIDE: No. They can't use it, they're editing it.

SECRETARY POWELL: He's still asking the questions.

EMILY MILLER, PRESS AIDE: He was not ...

SECRETARY POWELL: Tim, I am sorry I lost you.

MR. RUSSERT: I am right here Mr. Secretary. I would hope they would put you back on camera. I don't know who did that.

EMILY MILLER, PRESS AIDE: He was going to go for another five minutes.

SECRETARY POWELL: We've really scre...

MR. RUSSERT: I think that was one of your staff Mr. Secretary. I don't think that's appropriate.

SECRETARY POWELL: Emily, get out of the way. Bring the camera back please. (Camera returns to the interview subject) I think we're back on Tim, go ahead with your last question.

MR. RUSSERT: Thank you very much, sir.

In February of 2003, you put your enormous personal reputation on the line before the United Nations and said that you had solid sources for the case against Saddam Hussein. It now appears that an agent called "Curve Ball" had misled the CIA by suggesting that Saddam had trucks and trains that were delivering biological chemical weapons.

How concerned are you that some of the information you shared with the world is now inaccurate and discredited?

SECRETARY POWELL: I'm very concerned. When I made that presentation in February 2003, it was based on the best information that the Central Intelligence Agency made available to me. We studied it carefully. We looked at the sourcing and the case of the mobile trucks and trains. There was multiple sourcing for that. Unfortunately, that multiple sourcing over time has turned out to be not accurate, and so I'm deeply disappointed.

But I'm also comfortable that at the time that I made the presentation it reflected the collective judgment, the sound judgment, of the intelligence community, but it turned out that the sourcing was inaccurate and wrong and, in some cases, deliberately misleading. And for that I'm disappointed, and I regret it.

MR. RUSSERT: Mr. Secretary, we thank you very much for joining us again and sharing your views with us today. SECRETARY POWELL: Thanks, Tim.

(END OF PRE-TAPE INTERVIEW)

MR. RUSSERT: AND THAT WAS AN UNEDITED INTERVIEW WITH THE SECRETARY OF STATE, TAPED EARLIER THIS MORNING FROM JORDAN.

WE APPRECIATE SECRETARY POWELL'S WILLINGNESS TO OVERRULE HIS PRESS AIDES' ATTEMPT TO ABRUPTLY CUT OFF OUR DISCUSSION AS I BEGAN TO ASK MY FINAL QUESTION.

==========================================================

WOW.... aint't that some right IN YOUR face disregard for journalism?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/37             20-May-04  @  11:32 AM   -   RE: Powell interview cut......

dub-munkey

Link?:  No link

lol @ milan!

greg

Message 32/37             20-May-04  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: Powell interview cut......

mcc>

cheddar: I mean the man could be taking us to hell.

c'mon cheds....i think we've reached that point already in a way
that only the iraqis and our boys there can truly know.
the fact that recent events have slowed bush and his machine down doesn't discount the fact that great crimes have been committed against a people we've been claiming to liberate.

with you and i....i feel we're often postured for argument while agreement reigns underneath.
then again it's hard to say since i can't understand you half the time.
that's not new though.
but we're getting better.

Message 33/37             20-May-04  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: Powell interview cut......

k

Link?:  Link

yeah, that Frodo gaga was pretty good

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 34/37             20-May-04  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: Powell interview cut......

xoxos

Link?: Link

think about it, clay - sloppy motions and power are soon divorced. you know what power is like.. you don't throw your anger at an opponent, you throw your intellect at them, because that will fuck them up 10x worse tomorrow than your anger would today. you see that happen with every parochial child :p

i don't see the whole picture (thank goodness) but i can't imagine that bush really squirms when he portrays a squirming man for the nation. a yeast culture doesn't care what sugar thinks, and bush doesn't care if he looks on his way in or out, because he's there now. cheddars 'buying the cover story' for 20.

Message 35/37             21-May-04  @  03:11 AM   -   RE: Powell interview cut......

mcc>

i read something that bush once said once that still disturbs me everytime i think about it.
and it kind of illustrates your point...x.
here, we have a man who can comically flap his arms like a little bird the first time he and his cabinet enter his main strategy-room (i forget the name of the room)....this plucky god-chosen force... telling one of his advisor, while weighing the pros and cons of attacking iraq....the potential for casualties>
"you know i don't enjoy hugging the widows".

and this, at a time before the war even started...so how does he know what THAT feels like?
it's like some dumb thing he heard someone say at one time that he thinks makes him sound...seasoned?...experienced? compassionate?

as if he almost didn't mind the fact that kids would be missing a father...wives their husbands..parents their kids and so on.
what he didn't like...the way he expressed it...and the way i still hear it today
is that HE doesn't like hugging the widows. it bugs him to have to do this.
even though he's the one who sends them.

no...x...you're right...i don't think he sees the human reality of it at all.
only HIS place in it.....at the top.
guaranteed he had no idea as to heighths from which he will drop.

i had an old phrase strike me today as i was setting tile in this bathroom....
and it was "give em enough rope"......
as in "give em enough rope and he'll surely be able to hang himself with it."

Message 36/37             21-May-04  @  04:54 PM   -   RE: Powell interview cut......

xoxos

Link?: Link

so we would hope :p nasty phrase, must've picked it up from daddy or from kodos or someone.

at wha point does a despot sit their child on their knee and explain to them about huggin widows. :p

Message 37/37             21-May-04  @  08:32 PM   -   RE: Powell interview cut......

mcc>

the cia walked in and out of that kid's sandbox as if it were a gentle breeze.

mommy pointed to the preacher who was pointing to young george...
and he was listening.

and he heard.

take this sword.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)