aaa The Arrogance of Originality??? - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: The Arrogance of Originality???

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 30-Sep-04  @  11:02 PM   -   The Arrogance of Originality???

CydoniaCell

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

"I think that this is an unavoidable situation given the reliance on digital audio tools for creating electronic music but it is no different than musicians being able to hear a Yamaha DX-7, Korg M-1 or an Arp 2600 on a recording except now they can hear plug-ins. Being aware of the tools used in a work of art is nothing new. I used to hang out with fine arts and film students who could trainspot a particular type of brush, medium or camera lens used in a work. The pressure to create sounds that have never been heard before and/or whose origins are undetectable reeks of a modernist notion of "originality". Originality is no longer a relevant aesthetic problem...we abandoned that idea a long time ago. I like the fact that tools have become part of the message...it can create very complex surfaces upon which to work."

Kim Cascone
-- founder of Silent Records and all around brilliant electronic music dude.

Whadya think?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 61/71             23-Oct-04  @  08:33 AM   -   RE: The Arrogance of Originality???

cheddar

Link?: Link

"Who gives a fuck if originality does or doesn't exist?".

I look forward to your Milli Vanilli 'stars on 45' remix concept Mindspawn.

Message 62/71             23-Oct-04  @  05:30 PM   -   RE: The Arrogance of Originality???

xoxos

run with it, awfully exciting to be playing sports again

Message 63/71             24-Oct-04  @  04:14 AM   -   RE: The Arrogance of Originality???

Togo Peffin

Link?:  No link

When you make music, just fucking make it and don't give a shit about the views of others, whether it's derivative or original, bad or good. You can't try to sound original; you can just do what you do and see what comes of it. Originality matters only when it comes to listening. It's not that originality is great; it's that derivative bullshit is awful. So, if all derivative music (and I know everyhing's derivative up to a point, but we're talking relatively here, and some things are just a lot more derivative than others) is crap and plenty of original stuff is good, it is, to continue K's maths theme, statistically more likely that an original thing will be good. But then it's not guaranteed. And you're right, dance music is designed for people to dance to it, but you seem to think that gives it a licence to be derivative, repetitive and bland (which is my interpretation of dance music). And, if dancing's your thing, you can always dance to something truly great. Though you will have trouble finding enough people who like truly great music .....
There goes the opinion-dressed-as-fact again.
Togo

Message 64/71             24-Oct-04  @  04:20 AM   -   RE: The Arrogance of Originality???

mcc>

i wanna know what this has to do with tiesto's bitch??!?!?!?

Message 65/71             24-Oct-04  @  05:23 AM   -   RE: The Arrogance of Originality???

mcc>

(some minutes later)

i have to say that it always feels weird when i use that word anymore...i mean
i just never have cause to use it.
just another example of how our culture allows us to strap the leg-irons onto our own intelligence and diminish that which we were meant to be.

my opinion...of course...and nothing more.

and yet for some odd reason i like to use the word cunt.

Message 66/71             24-Oct-04  @  11:15 AM     Edit: 24-Oct-04  |  11:33 AM   -   RE: The Arrogance of Originality???

cheddar

...the apple left the dead mans fingers, dropped onto the table top taking the little energy of the fall. I thought it was going to roll away but instead rocked a little as it came to stand on its end

All that action - you could never have said that the man was dead

what if we substitute 'plagarise' for 'derive' what does that do to your arguments

Message 67/71             24-Oct-04  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: The Arrogance of Originality???

k

I just meant that in a historical context people will dance to the same traditional tribal rythms for thousands of years and no-one says "It's not original"

that sort of functionality i mean

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 68/71             24-Oct-04  @  01:50 PM   -   RE: The Arrogance of Originality???

mcc>

i concur.
what's more original than original man?!

besides i never knew a man named frank who didn't take his sense of manhood
to some crazy extremes at times.
that's just being frank about it.

Message 69/71             24-Oct-04  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: The Arrogance of Originality???

k

i'd rather be Ernest

er... i'll get me coat then...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 70/71             24-Oct-04  @  05:23 PM   -   RE: The Arrogance of Originality???

Mindspawn

I'll do the stars on 45 remixes right after I do my dark ambient/noise Christmas album, cheddar.....than maybe a Lustmord vs Brian Eno sing along album... eh? =)

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 71 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)