aaa The Arrogance of Originality??? - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: The Arrogance of Originality???

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 30-Sep-04  @  11:02 PM   -   The Arrogance of Originality???

CydoniaCell

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

"I think that this is an unavoidable situation given the reliance on digital audio tools for creating electronic music but it is no different than musicians being able to hear a Yamaha DX-7, Korg M-1 or an Arp 2600 on a recording except now they can hear plug-ins. Being aware of the tools used in a work of art is nothing new. I used to hang out with fine arts and film students who could trainspot a particular type of brush, medium or camera lens used in a work. The pressure to create sounds that have never been heard before and/or whose origins are undetectable reeks of a modernist notion of "originality". Originality is no longer a relevant aesthetic problem...we abandoned that idea a long time ago. I like the fact that tools have become part of the message...it can create very complex surfaces upon which to work."

Kim Cascone
-- founder of Silent Records and all around brilliant electronic music dude.

Whadya think?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 70/71             24-Oct-04  @  05:23 PM   -   RE: The Arrogance of Originality???

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

I'll do the stars on 45 remixes right after I do my dark ambient/noise Christmas album, cheddar.....than maybe a Lustmord vs Brian Eno sing along album... eh? =)

Message 71/71             25-Oct-04  @  06:35 AM   -   RE: The Arrogance of Originality???

Influx

Link?: Link

I completely forgot about this thread, having been distracted I guess.

Im likin the "fuck original, be honest" thing. I try. I really do.

Its funny about the arrogance thing...I had this huge discussion with a friend of mine who has released a major label album, and has had some success on top of that in various arenas...and....he keeps saying "there're all these kids out there that can do what I do with some softsynths and some plugins. Every time I write something I think 'so and so already did this'..."

and I think to myself...what the fuck are you doing, man? Trying to prove something, or trying to simply do what you do?

the former is what is being argued, but the latter ought to be the focus.

with honesty comes personality, humanity. with competition can come falsity and a transparently contrived ordeal, no?

that "god" or "cosmos" that clay says should be the paradigm...YES...I agree wholeheartedly, and...sadly missing in far too much of what goes on nowadays.

off. track. must. find. way. back.

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 71 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)