aaa "I didn't know you couldn't......" - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: "I didn't know you couldn't......"

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15

Original Message                 Date: 28-Apr-04  @  09:41 PM     Edit: 28-Apr-04  |  09:42 PM   -   "I didn't know you couldn't.......

dissonance

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

...punch POWs in the face!?!"

this is absurd! what kind of fucking dolts do we have in the military anyhow?

Abuse Of Iraqi Prisoners Probed

April 28, 2004

Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt tells Dan Rather he is "appalled" by what happened in a Baghdad prison.

"If we can't hold ourselves up as an example of how to treat people with dignity and respect, we can't ask that other nations do that to our soldiers."
Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt

Army Reserve Staff Sgt. Chip Frederick, one of the soldiers now facing court martial, described to Rather what he saw in the Iraqi prison. (Photo: Staff Sgt. Chip Frederick )

(CBS) A few weeks ago, the U.S. Army announced that 17 soldiers in Iraq had been removed from duty, and six of them were facing court martial for mistreating Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib, the infamous prison where Saddam Hussein and his henchmen tortured and executed Iraqis for decades.

60 Minutes II has obtained photographs of what was happening in Abu Ghraib. The photos show American soldiers mistreating Iraqi prisoners.

In his Wednesday morning briefing, Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt said the photographs may be shown in Dan Rather's report on 60 Minutes II, Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

The discovery of the photographs by the Army led to an investigation which concluded that there were problems at the prison from the general in charge of the prison, to the military police guarding the prisoners. An investigation into abuse claims started in January, after a U.S. soldier came forward with allegations and evidence of abuse.

Kimmitt, in an interview conducted by satellite from Baghdad, told Correspondent Dan Rather: "We're appalled...these are our fellow soldiers, these are the people we work with every day, they represent us, they wear the same uniform as us, and they let their fellow soldiers down....We expect our soldiers to be treated well by the adversary, by the enemy...and if we can't hold ourselves up as an example of how to treat people with dignity and respect, we can't ask that other nations do that to our soldiers."

Kimmitt says even though charges have been filed against the six soldiers, a more general investigation continues into how prisoners are interrogated at the prison. One of the soldiers who is now facing court martial, Army Reserve Staff Sgt. Chip Frederick, described to Rather what he saw in the Iraqi prison.

"We had no support, no training whatsoever, and I kept asking my chain of command for certain things, rules and regulations, and it just wasn't happening," he said.

Frederick is charged with maltreatment, assault and indecent acts for posing for a photograph while sitting on top of a detainee, striking detainees and ordering detainees to strike each other, among other things.

Frederick wrote home to his family about the treatment of prisoners. He said in an e-mail: "We helped getting them to talk with the way we handle them. We've had a very high rate with our styles of getting them to break; they usually end up breaking within hours."

The pictures 60 Minutes II obtained show an Iraqi prisoner who, according to the U.S. Army, was told to stand on a box with his head covered and wires attached to his hands. That prisoner was told that if he fell off the box, he would be electrocuted. In another photograph, prisoners' bodies were stacked in a pyramid - one body had a slur written in English on his skin.

Despite the charges against American soldiers, Kimmitt says Americans shouldn't lose faith in the military – since the investigation is focused on a small number of soldiers, and doesn't reflect the conduct of the vast majority of U.S. forces.

"Frankly, I think all of us are disappointed by the actions of the few," says Kimmitt. "Every day we love our soldiers but frankly, somedays we're not always proud of our soldiers...It's a small, small minority of people we're talking about here, less than a dozen out of the 150,000 who are serving honorably and proudly over here....The Army is a values-based organization. We live by our values. Some of our soldiers every day die by our values and these acts that you see in these pictures may reflect the actions of individuals but by God it doesn't reflect my army."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/04/27/60II/main614063.shtml

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 71/147             04-May-04  @  03:49 AM   -   RE:

mcc>

Link?:  No link

i'm not smiling either.

Message 72/147             04-May-04  @  05:55 AM   -   RE:

psylichon

Link?: Link

you both take yourselves way too seriously. you know this, right?

Message 73/147             04-May-04  @  11:26 AM   -   RE:

k

yup... no need to fall out boys... relax

Message 74/147             04-May-04  @  05:07 PM   -   RE:

xoxos

"I am the problem"

not having caught michael moore for several years, i'm not sure if this is intended as sarcasm or something.

rest assured that criticism is *not* the problem. building prison camps, putting people in them and shoving fireworks up their ass is a bit worse than deigning to critique. if the problem is in yourself, then why doesn't it go away when you sleep? bloody bobby mcferrin was a white guy in disguise i swear.

Message 75/147             04-May-04  @  05:12 PM   -   RE:

* compulsary

besides, it's hardly news. standard army practice all around since who knows when.

Message 76/147             05-May-04  @  12:13 AM   -   RE:

mcc>

having listened to some of mcferrin's work rather closely over the years...
i beg to differ.

his songs ring of transcendence in spite of the slavery and sadness which contains the roots of his music.
even through irony (as in "don't worry...be happy") and perhaps even wishful thinking....
he serves to enlighten.
his music can get so deep to the level of being painful....but in a more haunting manner than this woe-is-me crybaby stuff which often passes for "soul".
and it would seem callous to suggest he SERVES our master gleefully....as wasn't it him who quite publically asked the president of the united states...george bush 1 ...NOT to use his song as the theme-song for his re-election?
and i don't think he asked that quietly either.....though i'll guarantee he asked it
in a manner conducive enough to affording him the respect that i, still today,
have for him.
check his cd Medicine Man if you ever get a chance.

Message 77/147             05-May-04  @  04:43 AM     Edit: 05-May-04  |  04:49 AM   -   RE:

dissonance

I believe that just about sums it up....

BS, myopia man... terrible terrible thing to come down with.....does anyone know if you can get a shot for that?

Message 78/147             05-May-04  @  06:32 AM   -   RE:

mcc>

quote: he's a consultant for a bunch of big companies like martin marietta (sp lol) and CACI...kinda like a F-22 salesman :P

coincidentally enough..... CACI is showing up as one of the 2 main
companies cited in these torture investigations.

Message 79/147             05-May-04  @  06:51 AM   -   RE:

dissonance

"coincidentally enough..... CACI is showing up as one of the 2 main
companies cited in these torture investigations."

ask your daddy about that shit bro!

Message 80/147             06-May-04  @  12:22 AM   -   RE:

Zazza

It's not torture it's re-education in the ways of a free and democratic society based on an independent judiciary and the rights of the individual enshrined in a constitution!

O, wait....

I meant

'Strip the arab motherfucker and wire him up... '

That'll teach him to have an irrational hate for the USA and the freedoms they enjoy!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15

There are 147 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)