aaa Best soundcard for digital recording - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Best soundcard for digital recording

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             26-Apr-98  @  12:14 PM   -   Best soundcard for digital recording

jb007

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi,

I'm building a small home studio right now and i'm really tight on budget.

My actual setup is:

Pentium 133 with 32 meg ram and 2.1 gig HD
SoundBlaster AWE32 with 8 meg RAM and tons of SoundFonts (some real cool)
Kawai K-1 keyboard
Kawai Q-80 sequencer
Roland SC-33 SoundCanvas module
Fostex X-26 4 tracks tape recorder
Boss Digital reverb pedal
Boss Flanger pedal
Peavey MAX 100 guitar effects processor
Charvel Model 4 electric guitar
Alvarez acoustic guitar (real cheap one)

My main goal is to be able to do digital recording. My AWE32 is real bad at
doing this because it can't do full duplex.

Should i change it for newer soundcards like the Guillemot HomeStudio Pro64 or
the Hanmesoft Soundtrack 128 ruby??? Should i keep it and buy an analog to
digital card like the ones from Event1, GadgetLabs, Midiman or TurtleBeach
(fidji model)???

For more harddisk space, what would be the best: a CD-burner or a Syquest
Spar-Q (Iomega Jaz drive)???

Any tips, tricks and advices welcomed.

Hope to hear from all of you soon.

JB

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             07-May-98  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: Best soundcard for digital recording

porlandi

my name is carl tindall.
in my humble opinion, if you want to record digital audio,
I think you should go with a full duplex card. the gina and darla systems by event seem to be just what you are looking for but make sure that you check them out in person if you can. I have read a lot about these boxes
but i have not used one yet but i am thinking about a gina
system to compliment my fostex d-90. there are many other options but just remember to check it out first. do your homework. full duplex is for sure what we need in a sound card. good luck! let me know what you decide to do, and how it works out. ciao

Message 3/6             08-May-98  @  01:56 AM   -   RE: Best soundcard for digital recording

kilo

if you are happy with stereo in & out, add an extra audio only card such as the TB Daytona,D-man cards etc.... tyhen mix the awe outputs and the 2 audio outs on your mixer... and add-in any external midi synth or whatever sounds on the same mixer... this way, using a s/w ilike CW-V5, you can record a guitar.... rewind..... listen back.. play alonmg...record overdub.....

then you can keep adding more overdubs... drum loops etc etc... ok it all mixes to stero out.. (or L-R mono if you use the pan controlls in the s/w... ok you can export audio bitz to add reverb etc in another proggie (such as cool-edit pro demo...read the review it'll do it for free as well as loads of other stuff)... ok it's longwinded... but you can add different rverb or whatver fx to bitz of audio by exporting / re-importing to do this.... you can add eq & compresssion in cakewalk Pro audio v5 but not realtime... dont worry ... the prog has infinate undo !!..... even on audio events !...pan & level changes are all handles by the prog.......

the other option is to use less audio, and pan some right & some left.... then add fx etc outboad on a mixer.......

anywway...... it'll allow you to get soe audio with your guitar, and will be easily good enuff to make a demo.... or a master if it's club music.......
the audio tracks can have single kik drums etc... drum loops,,,, synth loops... basslines... vocal parts & samples etc etc......

up from there... it's extra pc upgrade time..... even tho.. i'd add-on an extra 32 mb to get smoother opration.... it's so cheap it's worth it.....
cheapest way to get storage is add-in another 4 or 6 bg cheap h/d....cost about 110 UK sterling or about that in US dollars...
you can add a zip.... but it's more... plus cartridges are more...plus youu have to add a scsi card too... and it only holds 100mb..... maybe try one of the new super 3.5 floppy diskdrives... they hold 100mb on a floppy disk.....

Message 4/6             21-May-98  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: Best soundcard for digital recording

cvh1

i suggest the yamaha sw1000xg ......xg/midi card (does not use the power of the host cpu). And to complete the system add the DSP factory card together with the ax44 expansion (an o2r mixer with procesor effects on a PCI card). Use ur harddisk for recording and write to cd.

Message 5/6             07-Jun-98  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: Best soundcard for digital recording

My personal opinion is to keep the AWE32 seeing as how you have lots of soundfonts and you are comfortable with it - after all it is a perfectly good midi synth. I would then add to your system somthing like the GINA soundcard for your digital inputs.

For your choice of backup I would definately go for a CD burner as it also means you can make digital media of the tracks you record (ie for demos etc.) as weel as for archiving - two birds with one stone. It is a lot easier for someone to bung an audio cd in somewhere and play it than load up a pc with a jaz drive and play the .wav files

deebee@cableinet.co.uk

Message 6/6             09-Jun-98  @  03:47 AM   -   RE: Best soundcard for digital recording

johnsong

I use an AWE32 with a Zefiro ZA2 in a Pentium 166 w/32M
RAM with CoolEdit Pro. When I fill up my hard drive I download it to my Smart & Friendly 4x6 CD-R burner and burn CD-Rs in both audio and CD-ROM formats. I've made approx. 8 CDs this way an' it seems to work thus far. The WaveCenter ZULU TANGO looks rather hot too. I've been waiting for a year for Event to get their act going. My creativity made me spend for other hardware, at this time. I almost feel like going backwards and recording onto my old Tascam 234 4-trk cassette, mix it down to DAT and send it AES/EBU to my hard disk and burn a CD-R. CoolEdit's
noise reduction filter does it most kool.

Btw, Verbatim blue dye CD-R blanks, i'm told, are the best for digital audio. They will last 200 years, whereas the green dye CD-Rs last approx. 10 years. I dunno, i just record for today. . .

ciao,
jeffrey
www.johnsong.com

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)