aaa What I've learned - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: What I've learned

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             04-Jun-98  @  12:37 AM   -   What I've learned

pryority

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

In my hunt for the ultimate sound card (deal!) this is what I've learned. I've been looking for recording abilty with the ability to dub in extra sounds, pretty standard, and game compatability. Ensoniq PCI is an analog card only. Any reference to this card that it has analog to digital capabilties is a misnomer. Right? But with a 90 db signal to noise ratio and a 8 mb patch set (Digital Research) this is what I'll probably wind up getting since I'm just a hobbiest. The Guillemot Home Pro 64 was the next card I considered. The Diamond PCI has weak Midi apparantly and the AWE 64 only has digital (s/pdif) out, not in. The TB Malibu has game compatability problems and a weak Midi. Apparantly though the S/pdif sampling rate on the HP 64 is only 44.1 Mhz (KHz) and for most DAT machines it's 48. For an extra $150 this additional aggravation doesn,t seem worth it. Any thing above $200 I didn't consider. Just my 2 cents... < $200.00!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             04-Jun-98  @  06:57 AM   -   RE: What I've learned

unity69

What do yo mean by saying, that Ensoniq AudioPCI is analog-only card with no analog to digital?

Of course it has analog to digital converteres. I use it for recording every day and that's pretty much analog to digital conversion to me, right? My voice is analog when I sing -> from mic it goes to the soundcard which converts its to digital.

Message 3/6             04-Jun-98  @  09:33 AM   -   RE: What I've learned

Fingers

The Ensonig AudioPCI card has wheels and tape loops inside it. If you notice any degrading in your recording quality just empty a litre of white spirit over it and rub it with a cotton bud...watch you don't drown the little people who live there tho!

~:¬)

Message 4/6             04-Jun-98  @  09:33 AM   -   RE: What I've learned

Fingers

thats what I've learned...

Message 5/6             05-Jun-98  @  07:16 AM   -   RE: What I've learned

unity69

Gee, that's why I get this warm analog sound on my recordings.. I really hate digital purist shit. Who wants good sound quality anyway? Why they stopped developing Mellotrons?

Message 6/6             05-Jun-98  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: What I've learned

Fingers

Guess what...I opened up my monitor last night and there was a family of Pixies living in there. I'm sure my system spec said Pixels. They were all singing areally weird song...and there was me thinking I had shit signal to noise on my sound card...well...you live and learn!~:¬)

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)