aaa An average Joes soundcard. Which one? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: An average Joes soundcard. Which one?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             26-Jun-98  @  09:04 AM   -   An average Joes soundcard. Which one?

bbjones

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have only been researching soundcards for about 2 days and I am already overwhelmed with crap!

Please post your opinions on this:
- recommend a soundcard for a user that does play all the hot games, does want to do some recording (not at a professional level but decent quality)
- is the soundcard bussiness exactly like the graphics card bussiness in that if you want anything really good at one thing you have to get 2 to 3 different pieces to have everything? Is there a ATI AllinWonder Pro type soundcard out there? One that has most features (none of them superb) at a reasonable price?
- where is a good place to get reviews on a wide variety of soundcards?
- any really good online stores?

From what I have read so far I think I want these things:
- Full duplex
- 64 voice polyphony
- PCI
- 4 speaker outs
- digital I/O of some sort would be nice
- expandable MIDI samples (or whatever it is)
- high sample rates
- DirectSound and DirectSound 3D compatible
am I totally insane?

and trying to stay under 200 Canadian or around 150 US including shipping/taxes

Any thoughts on the Sound Blaster PCI64 or the AWE 64 Gold?

Please help as my old Opti 16 bit soundcard is beginning to age...

Any and all opinions are appreciated

Confused and anxious....

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             26-Jun-98  @  09:04 AM   -   An average Joes soundcard. Which one?

bbjones

I have only been researching soundcards for about 2 days and I am already overwhelmed with crap!

Please post your opinions on this:
- recommend a soundcard for a user that does play all the hot games, does want to do some recording (not at a professional level but decent quality)
- is the soundcard bussiness exactly like the graphics card bussiness in that if you want anything really good at one thing you have to get 2 to 3 different pieces to have everything? Is there a ATI AllinWonder Pro type soundcard out there? One that has most features (none of them superb) at a reasonable price?
- where is a good place to get reviews on a wide variety of soundcards?
- any really good online stores?

From what I have read so far I think I want these things:
- Full duplex
- 64 voice polyphony
- PCI
- 4 speaker outs
- digital I/O of some sort would be nice
- expandable MIDI samples (or whatever it is)
- high sample rates
- DirectSound and DirectSound 3D compatible
am I totally insane?

and trying to stay under 200 Canadian or around 150 US including shipping/taxes

Any thoughts on the Sound Blaster PCI64 or the AWE 64 Gold?

Please help as my old Opti 16 bit soundcard is beginning to age...

Any and all opinions are appreciated

Confused and anxious....

Message 3/5             26-Jun-98  @  09:07 AM   -   RE: An average Joes soundcard. Which one?

why did it post twice?

It must have known that I was pretty anxious to post...

Message 4/5             26-Jun-98  @  09:30 AM   -   RE: An average Joes soundcard. Which one?

One more thing

I have a P200 - 32MB SDRAM - soon to be PII 233 with 64 MB SDRAM
and I have a CDR-RW so I do plan on making some demo CD's hopefully from a studio recorded DAT meduim.

And no my name is not Joe.

Message 5/5             26-Jun-98  @  02:16 PM   -   RE: An average Joes soundcard. Which one?

stephenb

I'd recommend the new Terratec EWS64S at £149/$???

It's basically a cut dow XL for poor people combined with a base1.

It features 64 note polyphonic sampler/wavetable synth, onboard DSP, full duplex, S/P dif in & out, soundblaster compatibility (including soundfonts in the near future),2mb sample ram (upgradable to 64 using std simms) and if that aint enough, it comes in a nifty little flight case box type thing......

The PCI64 is just an Ensoniq Audio PCI card with new drivers. If you want one of these I'd suggest buying the Ensoniq card and then grab the creative drivers from the web and voila.....you have a 64 note polyphonic Ensoniq for a third of the price of the pci64.

Stay away from the awe64 gold........not full duplex, expensive creative only ram upgrades, noisy and basically just not worth the money when you compare it to the new Terratec.

If you haven't guessed by now I've been in the same situation lately and I decided on the Terratec, but I guess that it's down to what you want to use it for and how much you want to/can pay.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)