aaa [NEWBIE] I need YOUR help... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: [NEWBIE] I need YOUR help...

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             13-Jul-98  @  10:09 PM   -   [NEWBIE] I need YOUR help...

Reply on the message board please

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I need to know what EXACTLY to get to transfer audio from an external DAT player
to the harddrive, without *any* DAC/ADC conversions. I'm sure it's possible to keep
everything digital from the DAT to the harddrive, right?

I'm on a somewhat tight budget ($400 for both S/PDIF and soundcard, if needed).
I've been told that I need a new soundcard and I've been told that all I need is a
S/PDIF card. So which is it? It may be important to know that I don't make my own
music so I'm not into midi files etc.

All I want to do is transfer audio from the DAT player to the harddrive with no DAC/ADC whatsoever. THAT'S IT.

Can anyone help? Any recommendations, opinions, etc are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Anne

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             14-Jul-98  @  04:06 AM   -   RE: [NEWBIE] I need YOUR help...

kilo

yup... i have the DAL digital only Card D.... bloody excellent... that D-man digital card seems good too and cheaper..... all you need is one of those......

Message 3/4             15-Jul-98  @  02:02 PM   -   RE: [NEWBIE] I need YOUR help...

sir dick

that'll do it...
Whatever peeps have told you, if you already have an audio card, then you only need a digital card. If you have no soundcard, then you need one with audio and spdif. You need the audio otherwise you won't be able to hear anything !! (unless you don't want to !!).
Watch out for some cards with spdif, though. All spdif isn't the same. The maxisound seems to encode with a -3db pad !!! (a numbers log thing i guess).

oh, I passed your details on to my brother Kilo. I've not back yet, but I've not spoken to him for a couple of days.

cheese
sir dick

Message 4/4             16-Jul-98  @  10:43 PM   -   RE: [NEWBIE] I need YOUR help...

Sick of it all!

WHY is it that it's more EXPENSIVE to get a DIGITAL signal (audio) out of a DIGITAL environment (the computer) and transfer it to a DIGITAL device (like DAT) than first CONVERTING the signal to ANALOGUE??!??!!? Conversion means extra hardware, extra hardware means more money. But apparently we must pay a HECK of a lot TOO MUCH for the advantage of zero quality loss!! So the manufacturers can earn more money!!!
I divide soundcards and other computer-based audio equipment in four categories:
Cheap shit that's only acceptable for gaming (like SB 16)
Normal priced stuff that can do more than you want it to, but it doesn't do it like it should (like EWS 64)
Way too expensive stuff that can only do one thing, but does it right (like Layla)
Way, way, WAAAAAAAAY too expensive stuff that does almost all you want it too, and does it right (like Paris) But no complete systems that work like they should. I hope the situation is gonna change soon... of course, money solves most problems... and a few decades ago, I'm sure noone had heard of anything called a home studio...

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)