aaa Wavetable synth/MIDI card -BEST one ? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Wavetable synth/MIDI card -BEST one ?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             23-Jul-98  @  01:04 AM   -   Wavetable synth/MIDI card -BEST one ?

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I would appreciate some feedback on what card
to replace and old Sounblaster 16. I really don't intend on using it for recording cause I have a DMAN 2044 for digital audio, however since I am getting rid of the SB16 , and would like a card for multimedia type stuff I figure why not get some good MIDI etc. and expandibilty if possible. 3D audio stuff is
also not very important but D/A conv and S/n ratio
are.
All Comments welcome and THANK YOU

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             23-Jul-98  @  01:57 AM   -   RE: Wavetable synth/MIDI card -BEST one ?

kilo

get over and look at the new Terratec EWS....er.. L... I think is the suffix... anyways... it's the new cheap version.... 149 quid in the UK.... 64mb max sampler... 4 out's.... fx.... 4mb dream chip like in the maxisound home studio pro (Guillemot).... s/pdif I/O (!!!).... lower sn ration than the more expensive version, but still respectable.... about 85 i think.... DOS compatible for games.... surround sound etc for games ... well, it seems good value.... especially as you get a sampler too.... you can route the synth or sampler to any of the outs, have hard disk out via one pair, sampler/synth from the other pair etc... check it out...

Message 3/5             23-Jul-98  @  02:39 AM   -   RE: Wavetable synth/MIDI card -BEST one ?

Astroman

That Terratec sounds pretty good... but if for some reason that doesnt do it for you I heartely recomend the combination of a Turtle Beach Montego and Yamaha db50xg daughterboard. This combination gives you 18 bit D/A conv with a s/n ratio of like 95db and a 600 voice, XG compatable midi synth with 3 effects processors. The Montego costs $100 US and the db50xg can be had for less than $80. And since the Montego runs on the PCI bus and uses system RAM to store its own MIDI patches (not the db50s) and supports DLS you'll probably be able to make your own midi patches for it in the near future. Your sampling capacity would then only be limited by your system RAM. And this db50xg has excellent sounding midi patches... comparable to many standalone synths... and theres alot of great editing software out there that lets you really tweak the patches to sound like just about anything (xg-gold is my personal favorite). This card combination is what Im useing right now and I'm really happy with it... I like the Montego even more than my Tahiti I think... and I find Im useing the db50 more than my cs1x (I know... thats not saying a whole lot...)

Message 4/5             23-Jul-98  @  06:30 AM   -   RE: Wavetable synth/MIDI card -BEST one ?

csoldano

Thanks for info - That last Montego + db50g sounds good
but I will check the Terratec because it was suggested.
Anyways keep the responses coming cause really there
really is too many cards out there and this drives me crazy - I am finally learning to be Patient this time.

Message 5/5             23-Jul-98  @  07:36 AM   -   RE: Wavetable synth/MIDI card -BEST one ?

csoldano

Thanks for info - That last Montego + db50g sounds good
but I will check the Terratec because it was suggested.
Anyways keep the responses coming cause really there
really is too many cards out there and this drives me crazy - I am finally learning to be Patient this time.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)