aaa E-MU APS 64 (SHOULD I BUY ONE TODAY????) - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: E-MU APS 64 (SHOULD I BUY ONE TODAY????)

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             20-Oct-98  @  03:37 PM   -   E-MU APS 64 (SHOULD I BUY ONE TODAY????)

Andrew

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

If you own one tell me what you think.I checked out their site (www.emu.com)
and it looks like a brilliant soundcard.Some user info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Andrew

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             28-Oct-98  @  11:39 AM   -   RE: E-MU APS 64 (SHOULD I BUY ONE TODAY????)

bennybumcheek

The card is wicked. I just bought one on saturady and i thoroghly recommend it. It has alot to sell itself with. But you've no doubt read about that in the Emu page.

The Effects in the thing are gorgeous. The reverb is silkier than my mates Trinity. You'll find yourself turning up the reverb on Mp3s cause it sounds so great.
The noise is very low.
Make sure you grab the new drivers and apps from their server.
I have had some problems with the Headphones out since i installed the new software though the normal stereo out is fine.
The included Soundfont's are great too.

Benny Bumcheek

Message 3/9             24-Nov-98  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: E-MU APS 64 (SHOULD I BUY ONE TODAY????)

If you need a soundcard this is the one for under $600

Message 4/9             25-Nov-98  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: E-MU APS 64 (SHOULD I BUY ONE TODAY????)

I own 2 of these cards. I liked it so much I bought a second one for my other computer.

After messing around with digital audio and midi for 5 years, and going through over a dozen sound cards, I've finally found a card that had me producing music within 30 minutes of the time I had it installed. The soundfonts (including the additional soundfont CDs available from EMU, all of which I purchased) are unbelievable (incredibly realistic simulations of acoustic instruments, such as guitars, saxes, etc.; excellent electric guitars and basses; excellent drums; all the stuff you need for good rock/pop music), and put most of my other synths (Korg M3r, Korg 03Rw, Korg X5DR, Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SoundCanvas, Yamaha DB50XG) to shame in terms of overall quality and realism of sounds (which is not surprising given that a typical acoustic guitar patch in the APS is going to be 1 to 2 Megs of memory, and only a small fraction of that in a typical sample playback synth). The ability to record the output of the card directly to a wave file, with effects added in the process, means I don't have to fiddle with any wires, and in a hour or two I can have a complete orchestration for a song recorded and mixed without leaving the domain of the computer. The mixer and sounfont control software are very well done and easy to use, and the numerous inputs to the card allow me to feed in signals from my other sound cards (mainly the Yamaha SW1000XG) and mix them with the APS. If I had to pick one card to own (and I have some pretty well respected cards, like an Event Gina and a Yamaha SW1000XG, both of which I like but are nowhere near as versatile as the APS), the EMU APS would clearly be the one I choose.

Message 5/9             25-Nov-98  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: E-MU APS 64 (SHOULD I BUY ONE TODAY????)

shaggy

Are you recording with mics? If so how is the sound? I am wondering about the quality of the mic preamps. Also, does the phantom power cause noise? I've heard some complaints.

Have you burned anything to CD yet? How does the sample rate conversion from 48khz to 44.1 khz sound? That seems to be a big problem as you can't go out of the APS at 44.1.

Just curious.

Message 6/9             26-Nov-98  @  07:52 AM   -   RE: E-MU APS 64 (SHOULD I BUY ONE TODAY????)

Rafael

To the owner of 2 APS'

Do you get any advantage from having 2 APS'? Are they working togehther via MIDI? I own one myself. Did you notice any sound distortion that follows from the Khz convertion (41->48->41)?

Rafael

Message 7/9             02-Dec-98  @  12:07 AM   -   RE: E-MU APS 64 (SHOULD I BUY ONE TODAY????)

I'm the one with 2 APSs.

I have them in 2 separate computers in two different rooms, so I've not tried to link them in any way.

I've noticed no distortion from the sample rate conversions. I'm recording everything into Cakewalk using 44.1 files. I mix everything down directly on the computer, so the sample rate conversions are kept to a minimum and are really a non-issue for me.

I've not used the preamps. I recorded vocals with a mic (AT4033) through an Aphex Tubessence preamp directly into the APS, using the APS's internal compressor effect to tame the sound. The results were very good with this setup.

For me, the convenience of having an excellent quality sampler (with a very good, and VERY inexpensive set of sample CDs available from EMU, Sonido Midia and other 3rd party vendors; keep in mind these CDs go for $30 to $40 a piece, while a typical sample CD goes for $250), good effects implementation, multiple input options and digital audio all integrated into one card is incredible.

Message 8/9             02-Dec-98  @  04:30 PM   -   RE: E-MU APS 64 (SHOULD I BUY ONE TODAY????)

mswhite

Does this card come with drivers for NT?

Message 9/9             02-Dec-98  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: E-MU APS 64 (SHOULD I BUY ONE TODAY????)

mswhite

Does this card come with drivers for NT?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)