aaa Yamaha EX5, EX7 - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Yamaha EX5, EX7

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             19-May-98  @  03:55 AM   -   Yamaha EX5, EX7

chaz10-6

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've had the EX5 for about 3 weeks now, and what can i say? it's a great board. However there are some problems that need to be addressed to make this the ultimate synth/sampler and the new contender to beat the K2500. First of all the way that the sample ram memory is allocated is a pain in the ass, here's why:
there are 1024 memory locations for samples (one sample per slot), this in itself is not a problem, it's the process of using and playing samples that is. When you sample or import samples into the ex5 in order to map and use them you must first call them up in a patch or "voice" ( yamaha calls patches voices???) the best way to do this is to intialize a patch and asign ram as the wave bank in the oscilator screen. At this point you must push the wave edit button in this screen and this will take you to the screen where you can call up your samples and map them across the keyboard, you can also layer samples from this page as well. So far so good, Right? not really! Although this proccess for using samples is simple enough where you run into a problem is when you store your patch. The patch will point to the sample location where the samples you asigned resided, now suppose you have powerd the unit down and loaded some different samples in the unit, that patch you saved will point to the same location of sample ram no matter what's loaded in those slots. Do you see the problem?, If the samples for the patch you created were the first samples you loaded in the machine when you created the patch ( lets say you used 10 samples, they will be in sample ram locations 0-9) you will always have to load those samples first in order for that patch to sound the proper waves. This to me is stupid, there is no way to tell the samples where they are to be loaded in ram memory. Another gripe i have about the sampling section on the ex5 is, there are no crossfade looping functions making this almost impossible to loop anything but drum loops or musical loops.
Trying to loop a string sound or piano? forget it!!.

The sampling leaves alot to be desired, let's hope Yamaha will do some major revision to the o.s. for the sampling.

As a synth this machine has no rivals. You get sample playback, AN , VL and the very cool FDSP. The only problem with the synth is that in a performance you cannot use the an and vl at the same time. This would not be a problem if the sampling section on the machine was a little tighter. All in All though, this is a great synth and a 128 voices ain't nothing to sneeze at. The sequencer is pretty cool there's two things that i would like to see added to it: 1. Input quantize, ala, Mpc 60, 3000, etc.
and 2. A solo track function ( what the hell was yamaha thinking about by leaving that out???) If anyone else out there has a ex5/ex7 please write, your thoughts and experiences with this beast of a synth will be appreciated. Remember we have to stick together if we want this synth to be supported by yamaha, so don't be afraid to call yamaha with your suggestions or complaints

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             22-May-98  @  04:29 AM   -   RE: Yamaha EX5, EX7

KILO

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

WELL, I'D CALL STEINBERG ABOUT IT (?????... WHAT THE FUCK !!).......er....copy and paste this to the Tech area.....

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)