aaa compression in software - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: compression in software

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             19-Jul-98  @  12:04 AM   -   compression in software

deebee

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

This may sound silly but I have a problem with compression using my computer to record. I use SAWplus and on the voacl tracks I use the compressor limiter module to even out the sound. It is very good and does a wonderful job (it is helpful how you can see how the compressor and limiter will visually affect the waveform) but unfortunately the way I use it it is only functional during mixing down. I want to set up a limiter on recording to stop the channel overloads which are so common to vocalists as they change dynamic all the time. Is this possible through software, eg. a third party prgram that constantly adjusts the levels before SAW actually records the waveform or will I need to buy an external compression/limiter module to adjust the levels before they enter the soundcard? Or finally is this possible with SAWplus but I just don't know it? I also have VST although I tend to use it more for sequncing as SAW is more accessible for audio tracking. Does VST have a facility or plug-in to adjust the gain or mixer settings real-time during recording to give the same effect?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             19-Jul-98  @  08:21 PM   -   RE: compression in software

kilo

obviously... a compressor is needed to be applied before the sound reaches the input...... if a compressor is working in s/w...even if it processes prior to committing to h/d... it is still only compressing the post input sound... so it can effect the dynamics... but not give you a higher input level.... dunno if any of the cheaper ones compress before saving.......sorry... anyone?... still, a decent compressor on the mic is probably a good investment..... or even a unit with a decent mic pre-amp, eq, and compression is a great bonus.....

Message 3/3             22-Jul-98  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: compression in software

Cg

I would wholeheartedly recommend an external compressor to effect the signal before it ever got into the inputs of your audio card. There are many to choose from...ranging in price ($200-$2000)...but you should seriously consider a tube based processor. They can radically enhance & warm the sound before it ever gets to the cold & brittle digital domain.

Try an ART TubePAC. It's a single channel Tube Pre-amp/Tube compressor-limiter all rolled into one. The process is quite transparent and affordable. $200-250 US

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)