aaa The Truth about Win'98 and VST (is out there) - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: The Truth about Win'98 and VST (is out there)

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             01-Sep-98  @  07:30 AM   -   The Truth about Win'98 and VST (is out there)

Kelaperse

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've read the previous thread 'bout this 98-thing. Somebody had problems with w-98 and vst.. others didn't.

I'm interested if anybody has had problems with normal stereo soundcards? Has there been problems only with multichannel cards?

So far my VST has been working well without crackling or any other problems under win 98 but I installed it on top of the win 95. Does it really matter if you do a clean install? There are other reasons not related to VST why I would like to do a clean install for my whole system. Does this mean I have to take a risk with VST too?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             01-Sep-98  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: The Truth about Win'98 and VST (is out there)

sls1

Im thinking of Upgrading my VST Pc from 95 to 98..... should i bother doing this????

if so... should i do a clean install???

Message 3/7             01-Sep-98  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: The Truth about Win'98 and VST (is out there)

Billy Bob

I was told by Cubase Tech to do a clean install, so far so good.

I can get 32 tracks of playback (no FX) with no problems and can get 16 tracks with svereal effects going.

98 is much more stable in my opinion. The drivers for 98 are supossedly model after NT drivers...and I 've heard rumors that eventually...maybe in the next version...MS will simply merge the 2 platforms into one.

Good luck

Message 4/7             02-Sep-98  @  08:18 AM   -   RE: The Truth about Win'98 and VST (is out there)

Kelaperse

Windows -98 supports this new filesystem (fat 32 or sumthing) and it's supposed to free up some diskspace with harddisks bigger than 2 gb. The new filesystem handles all these mysterious clusters and related stuff a bit differently so you can have for example only one harddrive (c  sized of 6.4 gb.

If I convert my 6.4gb drive to fat32 should I still divide it for two virtual drives... one for music and one for rest of the stuff. I don't have money to buy a dedicated harddisk for music at the moment.

I mean if there's a virus in my system harddisk (c , is it safer for the recordings to be somewhere else (like d ? And what about fragmentation..?

Message 5/7             04-Sep-98  @  05:52 PM   -   RE: The Truth about Win'98 and VST (is out there)

B-bob

Yes you should partition the HD...not for safety as much as speed. The OS (win98) will be able to find audio files much faster if part of the drive has nothing but your audio files on it. That way it only has to search thos files and not alll the other junk on your machine to find audio files.

Defraggging works the same as it would with 2 physical drives

Message 6/7             29-Sep-98  @  04:49 AM   -   RE: The Truth about Win'98 and VST (is out there)

Yes, clean install is the way to go if possible. The new
fat 32 file system will not be fully taken advantage of if you only use the upgrade...

Message 7/7             29-Sep-98  @  04:51 AM   -   RE: The Truth about Win'98 and VST (is out there)

AudioPro21

How do you partitian you drive under Win95.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)