aaa IBM Processors and VST - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: IBM Processors and VST

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             29-Sep-98  @  09:32 PM   -   IBM Processors and VST

sox

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Does anyone have any experience of the IBM Mll Processors and VST?
We're looking at buying 7 machines with the IBM processor to teach on this years courses (first year with VST!) and I'm unsure of making this purchase without hearing from someone who's actually using it (after all the aggro with the Cyrix processors and VST).

Cheers

sox

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             30-Sep-98  @  08:57 AM   -   RE: IBM Processors and VST

Clemens

Link?:  No link

.... what should I say...... well, I donīt have any experiences with VST in combination with IBM MII CPUīs.

What about the floating-point arithmetic of this processor. Any data available. Same as Intelīs PII?

Check it out. Wave calculating (effects from PlugIns, converting processes etc.) needs this unit.

As far as I know Intelīs PII is the best one concerning this floating-point unit.

BUT: If you wanna purchase 7 (!!) units your dealer should rent you one for some days to check out the functionality of VST on this IBM.

Donīt buy without testing.

What soundcard will be installed?

Message 3/5             30-Sep-98  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: IBM Processors and VST

hossaman

Hi guy, I have some experiences with the Cyrix Processor. In the main subject, working with this machine doesnīt make any problems, but if you like to work with plug ins (and I think, this fact is one of the most important, an Intel or AMD Processor is much faster ( maybe 20 or 30 %).
But no more Crashes than any Intel Processor.

Bye

Sven

Message 4/5             01-Oct-98  @  12:17 AM   -   RE: IBM Processors and VST

kilo

for those of you with alot of dosh, remeber there is a silicon graphics VST version available, and SG have a machine out for about 1500....!!... may be better than a p2

Message 5/5             01-Oct-98  @  07:42 AM   -   RE: IBM Processors and VST

sox

Link?:  Link

The company selling the computers said I could go down to their showroom and install a copy of VST to see if it works. I'm probably going to have to do this to find out if it works.
Thanks for the advice on plugins Clemens. I'll make sure and try a few processor intensive ones when I try it out.
The soundcards are the el-cheapo Yamaha OPL3sa-x I believe. At least we can always upgrade at a later date (ie. when we've got money)

sox

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)