aaa Chords and Dance music.. - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

27-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Chords and Dance music..

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             04-Mar-00  @  02:51 PM   -   Chords and Dance music..

Jimmy

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok..so right now i mostly do simple melodic stuff..simple bassline driven songs or ditties surrounded by lots of moving LFO's and fliter sweeps and odd noises to keep the listener interested....Now i want to start adding more to my songs, such as chords, harmonies and the other such things..my question is, What are the rules for deciding how many chord progressions are in a song or whatnot..that kinda thing..and what chords go with what...I've already taken both music theory classes in high school, so i have a good idea how all that works, and all the jargon (scales, minors..etc..)..Im jus askin what goes with what..Most interested in how Trance, electro,DnB works..Thanks all!

Jimmy

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             04-Mar-00  @  03:52 PM   -   RE: Chords and Dance music..

sitar

Link?:  Link

Man. That's a big one. I guess one idea is to keep it simple, but my preference is not to use block chords as much as harmonies that are made up of intertwining melodic lines. In other words counterpoints. Of course when counterpoint becomes 4 voices it is harmony. But I think it all changes from song to song. Some songs sound better minimal. Great you took those classes in high school. Skies the limit really IMO.

Message 3/7             05-Mar-00  @  09:57 PM   -   RE: Chords and Dance music..

Jimmy

So anything goes eh?

Hmm..interesting..thats the great thing about electronic music..theres really no overall formula..do whatcha want..

Message 4/7             05-Mar-00  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: Chords and Dance music..

damballah

Yup. Purty much. Sometimes I get all goofy with modulating the key, flippin' majors and minors, weird substitutions, and take a piece through some twisted changes but I'm working on one now that just sort of grooves on E. Some of those styles you mentioned you can just layer some arpeggios, transpose and mute and switch sounds and rhythms and not really worry that much about the theory aspects of what you're doing. Put da boogie in their butts, y'know.

Message 5/7             22-Mar-00  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: Chords and Dance music..

Jimbob_a_ding

I know it sounds obvious, but just listen to dance music that you like, and work out the exact structure and chords used in them. Eventually you should enough ideas.

Message 6/7             22-Mar-00  @  10:54 PM   -   RE: Chords and Dance music..

k

I think one of the most beautiful chord sequences ever in a dance(Y) track has to be Neneh Cherry - 'Manchild' - i'm not trained in theory - maybe it is lifted from classical??, anyone know that progression?... superb....so beautiful

Message 7/7             22-Mar-00  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: Chords and Dance music..

sitar

I'd like to listen to it. maybe I can find it somewhere. Is it still available do you think?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)