aaa d n b primer - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: d n b primer

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             16-Jul-00  @  03:38 PM   -   d n b primer

dje

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

can anyone tell me what the basic steps r to make
d & b beats using a pc - is there a primer of sorts anywhere on the web?

thank you
dj e

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             17-Jul-00  @  05:46 AM   -   RE: d n b primer

Jasper

get fruity loops pro... and a load of samples.. and get your hands dirty... there is no other way to learn.

Message 3/12             17-Jul-00  @  05:48 AM   -   RE: d n b primer

phunk

hey

ahoy d+b produca!
important: there is NO recipe for making rythms in general! whatever you like is o.k.
for a good d+b beat you need a snacky bd, a snare (long, adsr envelope) and some clean hihats. that is it.
breakbeats are asynchron rythms. that simply means you should change the gap between bd and snare )look above)
in d+b the snare makes the beat, the bd is often a bit layed back. a continous hihat line makes it fast.
i think it is necessary to build the main beat structure by yourself, sure, you can use samples as well but it is hard (at least for me) to consider it as your own music.
apart from that be sure to go on a high bpm rate, d+b is fast music..the speed will also change the groove of your beat.
add some snare rolls and drum effects taken from sample collections (you will need timestretch and pitchshifting, i highly recommend a hardware sampler, the computer works good too(Recycle!, Fruits!). tha true produca makes everythink on his own of course... ( so he says, in fact he just customized audio you cannot recognize it..dam bastard).

i hope this helps. always keep in your mind that making music with electronic instruments is not easier as playing real instruments, it is just different. nevertheless you have to learn to control your equipement so you can go whereever you wanna.
it is lot of practice though. just keep doing stuff...

roman

Message 4/12             17-Jul-00  @  05:48 AM   -   RE: d n b primer

phunk

hey

ahoy d+b produca!
important: there is NO recipe for making rythms in general! whatever you like is o.k.
for a good d+b beat you need a snacky bd, a snare (long, adsr envelope) and some clean hihats. that is it.
breakbeats are asynchron rythms. that simply means you should change the gap between bd and snare )look above)
in d+b the snare makes the beat, the bd is often a bit layed back. a continous hihat line makes it fast.
i think it is necessary to build the main beat structure by yourself, sure, you can use samples as well but it is hard (at least for me) to consider it as your own music.
apart from that be sure to go on a high bpm rate, d+b is fast music..the speed will also change the groove of your beat.
add some snare rolls and drum effects taken from sample collections (you will need timestretch and pitchshifting, i highly recommend a hardware sampler, the computer works good too(Recycle!, Fruits!). tha true produca makes everythink on his own of course... ( so he says, in fact he just customized audio you cannot recognize it..dam bastard).

i hope this helps. always keep in your mind that making music with electronic instruments is not easier as playing real instruments, it is just different. nevertheless you have to learn to control your equipement so you can go whereever you wanna.
it is lot of practice though. just keep doing stuff...

roman

Message 5/12             17-Jul-00  @  12:10 PM   -   RE: d n b primer

DJ

thanx 4 da kick start.
i'd searched the web prior to my request and
came up with no help

peace
dje

Message 6/12             18-Jul-00  @  06:45 PM   -   RE: d n b primer

k

there might be some in the midi-file list (see front of this forum text column bottom

Message 7/12             23-Jul-00  @  12:56 AM   -   RE: d n b primer

siza

talking samples wasn't the reference to instrument hits, not loops?

Message 8/12             23-Jul-00  @  06:35 AM   -   RE: d n b primer

AK

Link?: Link

You might find the above link useful. There are also some DnB tutorials on Buzztrack you could check out.

Message 9/12             11-Aug-00  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: d n b primer

es

yeah, that lanset primer is excellent. another tip that may or may not have been mentioned: after breaking the loop apart into it's seperate elements (ie: kick, snare, hihat or boom tik hat as i like to call it) you can start by recreating the beat. once you have recreated the feel of the original, you can begin to change it, adding your own elements. perhaps start by taking out the hihats, or mixing up the placement of the sounds, adding swing eventually, you will develop totally new grooves keep in mind that drum'n'bass is more than just the drum and the bass. the synergy of the elements, especially the ambient sounds you choose to bring in, can greatly affect the mood and their importance should not be overlooked also, something many beginning producers do not recognize is the importance of the overall volume. i constantly hear songs ruined by drums or bass that drowned out the mix.

Message 10/12             12-Aug-00  @  03:23 PM   -   RE: d n b primer

Espoo2

Yeah, you beat me to it... i was gonna suggest the tutorial on buzztrack...
Also, if you want a quick and easy way to some nice lil' breaks and loops, download "Amen" from the above link, its a great, free program, and you get a nice sample of the amen break.

Message 11/12             14-Aug-00  @  10:45 AM   -   RE: d n b primer

zi_yue

what is the amen break? I heard alot of it around.. but have no clue what the hell it is?
thx.

Message 12/12             14-Aug-00  @  12:55 PM   -   RE: d n b primer

k

um.. but that break & other breaks... DnBass has gone along way from them perhaps now, just listen to some good drum and bass and copy it.. thats the best way to learn i reckon. one of my fav tracks is 'Ni Ten Ichi Ryu' by Photek and there's not a trace of a breakbeat in it like alot of drum&bass - have a listen on that link, regardless of what drums you use, the 'feel' is the same, and THAT is what makes drum & bass, that 3 over4 triplet feel coming out of dub & ragga & now the standard riddim for dancehall... even if U use a breakbeat, if you cant get that feel to add in the break start/re-trigger points it'll still not work right.

as you listen to the track, count: - 123,123,12 = 8 beats - - or - - 123,123,123,123,12,12 = 16 beats - now check it, the loger riffs/rools that begin bars are sometimes 8's and sometimes 16's long... comprendez?.. now check out some danchall... 123,123,12 - 123,123,12 - thats dancehall... get it now?.. like the blues, (12 bar blues, 16 bar blues etc), african based stuff is 3's over 4.. and D&B is coming out of jungle, that is coming out of ragga, that is coming out of reggea, that is coming out of africa...
the track link is above, & at this link you can also watch the video & hear some other tracks.

http://www.caroline.com/astralwerks/photek/media.html

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)