aaa making jeff mills'ish beats - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: making jeff mills'ish beats

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             19-Jul-00  @  02:01 PM   -   making jeff mills'ish beats

yvp

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i just started out making music , and im into techno big time

now , i'm looking for any grooves and what kinda samples to use for techno like jeff mills , dave clarke , takkyu ishino , headroom , etc.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             19-Jul-00  @  02:01 PM   -   making jeff mills'ish beats

yvp

i just started out making music , and im into techno big time

now , i'm looking for any grooves and what kinda samples to use for techno like jeff mills , dave clarke , takkyu ishino , headroom , etc.

Message 3/12             20-Jul-00  @  05:53 AM   -   RE: making jeff mills'ish beats

Jasper

erm.. anything and everything. pretty mutch any sample will get useable at a low enough tuning. get a synth like the microwave2 to go with your samples.. you need that organic feel that the mw2 has got loads of.. plus you can create a lot of jeff mills type sounds with this synth.

a bit vague but then you question covers a hell of a lot of ground.. be more specific and I might be able to help.

Message 4/12             23-Jul-00  @  05:08 AM   -   RE: making jeff mills'ish beats

Yvp

i havent got the cash for expensive gear , and while soft is easy and free to get on the web , thats all i use

the sorta thing im looking for is drum grooves and
help on how to make those simple melodies which seem sooo easy to make yourself when u hear them

somebody once told me this was just a simple arpeggio
, is this right?

the way i make my stuff is , get samples or sound out of retro-as1 , orangator or whatever , tune them with
soundforge , use them into a tracker

this can sound a bit lame to all yo people , but i just cant get anything decent out of cubase or whatever

Message 5/12             23-Jul-00  @  11:12 PM   -   RE: making jeff mills'ish beats

gs

nothing wrong with using trackers, u can do cool stuff with free softsynths, downloaded samples & a tracker. u tried buzz? if not, learn & use that cause it's got nice inbuilt fx which is kinda needed for techno stuff.

Message 6/12             24-Jul-00  @  06:07 AM   -   RE: making jeff mills'ish beats

Jasper

Link?: Link

I downloaded fruityloops the other day to see what the fuss was about.. and you know what? I aint used my studio stuff all weekend cos I'm having too mutch fun creating stuff with fruityloops..

the free version won't let you save songs but it'll let you render loops to wav's.. if you have acid or something (this is cheap for the basic version) then you can record decentish tracks.

Message 7/12             24-Jul-00  @  11:16 AM   -   RE: making jeff mills'ish beats

Vyp

having progz to render loops etc isnt a problem , cuz these are easy to get

but i need the sounds , and some examples to make som "melody" loops

Message 8/12             24-Jul-00  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: making jeff mills'ish beats

Jasper

Well grab a few drumloops and cut the sounds out of them.. use them to create new rythms.. anything will do for techno.. just bend the hell out of a sample if it sounds to normal.

try this for a start

http://samples.pagina.nl/

Message 9/12             24-Jul-00  @  08:58 PM   -   RE: making jeff mills'ish beats

gs

Link?: Link

got to this site and download all the freebie/shareware softsynths, then make your own sounds. then search the web for some samples, drumlooops etc. get a sound/sample editor, goldwave is available from maz i think and is shareware, stuff around editing sounds, arrange them in buzz, fruity or whatever. buzz is cool cause it has great fx, but i think fruity does too. any sound will to for a start, just experiment, show some initiative.

Message 10/12             25-Jul-00  @  05:53 AM   -   RE: making jeff mills'ish beats

Jasper

yes.. and stand up straight man.. how can you expect to write techno slouched like that?

the stuff you mentioned about 'melody'.. you really need a synth for jeff mills type stuff.. the reason I mentioned the microwave2 is because I can get a lot of mills type sounds out of it.

Message 11/12             25-Jul-00  @  09:52 PM   -   RE: making jeff mills'ish beats

gs

hehe :-)

hope i didn't come across as arrogant, i just think that with a lot of techno type stuff experimenting is important, just mucking about & manipulating sounds to come up with something a bit different.

good point about needing a synth for melodic stuff, something with lots of modulation possibilities.

Message 12/12             26-Jul-00  @  06:06 AM   -   RE: making jeff mills'ish beats

Jasper

the microwave2 has 16 modulation slots.. it's fecking great!

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)