aaa Utilizing Quantize - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Utilizing Quantize

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             24-Jul-00  @  05:30 PM   -   Utilizing Quantize

Solid Algoriddim

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

YO! just wondering...any 505 users out there listen up...i understand, even technically, what shuffle does and i understand how grid maps the notes to predetermined blah blah blah. Question?: how can i figure out which groove quantize is right for the sub-genre of Electronica that i happen to be producing at the time. ( i make everything from drum and bass to house to electro to down tempo hip-hop). please give me some suggestions or ideas from experience on how to fully take advantage of the groove quantize function. i have dabbled with it, but i can never get it to improve the feel of my tracks. Any help would be much appreciated....Late....

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             24-Jul-00  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: Utilizing Quantize

Jasper

heh.. you nutter ;)

Message 3/4             25-Jul-00  @  06:07 AM   -   RE: Utilizing Quantize

amiga303

obvisously you didn't understand what quantize is. you cannot rely a subgenre to a determined quantize or shuffle setup.
i think subgenres in electronic music are often seperated cause of their instinctive use of samples and the spees.
example: d+b and electro. it is the same asynchronous beat structure. the accent is on the snare. (electro drums are often very (have got a very short attack time).
make your electro beat fast and use long snares -> d+b.

quantize: yup. generally everybody who composes with a sequencer has got "quantized" music, cauze you are going step by step. quantize as a function is just an algorithm you can add that modifies your step-patterns. there are definitely no typical d+b shuffle effects or whatever.
i use quantize as an additional feature of my sequencer to get easily new structures and inspirations.
it is also very important if you record in real-time. timing problems will be fixed.

roman

Message 4/4             25-Jul-00  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: Utilizing Quantize

Solid Algoriddim

yeah, i understand what quantize is. it enables you to add dynamics to your track, swing, etc. it also gan give it a rushing feel or a lagging feel. blah, what i want to know is shoudl i use a high velocity, high dynamics groove quantize for say a DnB song?...please try to understadn that the 505 quantize is a bit, well, eccentric. i have played with a number of MPC models, so i KNOW what quantizing can do, so give me some ideas, somebody.

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)