aaa bass drum variations. - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: bass drum variations.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             15-Aug-00  @  06:06 PM   -   bass drum variations.

salo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I want to create 4/4 style loops without using the standard 4/4 beat tradition.Anyone got any tips for creating these kind of loops but manage to keep the same type of groove.I hope you know what i mean.thanks in advance.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             15-Aug-00  @  11:58 PM   -   RE: bass drum variations.

damballah

Link?:  Link

Lots of music is in 4/4 without being 4-on-the-floor. Find some of these beats that catch your ear and try your hand at reconstructing them. Play with swing, ghost notes, stuff like that. Use triplets. Listen to some different styles from what you normally do, and apply those rhythms to your thing. I was gonna type something else but I forgot what it was. The brain! It's going...

Message 3/10             17-Aug-00  @  06:58 AM   -   RE: bass drum variations.

Jasper

I'm a bit confused, do you mean 4/floor without the kick? or 4/4 that isn't 4/4?

Message 4/10             17-Aug-00  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: bass drum variations.

AK

It doesn't have to have a kick on each 1/4 note (4-on-the-floor) to be 4/4.

Message 5/10             17-Aug-00  @  04:11 PM   -  

breakmastah

well this is kind of.. a 4/4 version... but not 4/4 .. and then yet 4/4... this one is used by Liam Howlett from the Prodigy in "Voodoo People"... ... the chopped break is from an old funk record ... "mule" something if i remember... it is downloadable from phatdrumloops.com . clap and deepbd probably from a 909

Message 6/10             05-Sep-00  @  05:29 AM   -   RE: bass drum variations.

Brent Finch

Link?: Link

Yo salo , could u repost your grrove again but wigth some decent names?

i guess boom = bassdrum
tick = closed hat
and tish could be anything , as is the rest

tnx

Message 7/10             07-Sep-00  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: bass drum variations.

salo

you'll need to learn the basic skills of the beatbox, think,say this fast with a bit of a lisp...(and a slow attack)

"tick tish tick tish tick tish tick tish"

now you got the hats!!"daahh" is a kind of a hybrid snare with a bit of a hand clap edge to it,say in the kind of way you would after a glass of water after being partched for hours,aahhh,once again use a slow attack.

say "dicc" as it said,fast attack,its the rimshot of the human beatbox.As for the "tii" make a helicopter noise with your tongue but breath out through your teeth and you should get it,you just did a tamborine sound!!!!!.If you are still reading this well done you have just completed your very own human beatbox,now all you gotta do is light up a reefah turn on your sampler and get busy,hours and hours of fun lie ahead  after a bit of smokin start creating your own bass drums,this is when the real fun begins,don't give yourself headrushes though,you might faint.Techno beatboxing is not for the weak :@)

seriously though its a pretty simple groove,BD,SD,OHH

Message 8/10             10-Sep-00  @  02:46 AM   -   RE: bass drum variations.

nunchuks

if you are trying to find variations in 4/4 stuff think about using triplets. running hihats(and for the brave snares) on the triplet beat gives a nice swing to a groove without loosing the 4/4 body. the best way of thinking of triplets is instead of dividing a bar by 16 clicks divide it by 12. but remember leave the kick alone and only light touches on the snare. the hihat it flexible so do a lot of experimenting there. or you can do all of you beats in 12 click cycles. what are cycles? thats for another day. do know if this will help but who really cares anyway

Message 9/10             16-Sep-00  @  05:21 PM   -   RE: bass drum variations.

Brent Finch

Could u explain what triplets are too?

:-)

Message 10/10             16-Sep-00  @  11:12 PM   -   RE: bass drum variations.

damballah

Link?:  Link

he just did. in his example quarter notes have 3 hi hat hits beats between them. Rastas do it a lot.

| 1 * * | 2 * * | 3 * * | 4 * * |

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)