aaa traditional grip - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

30-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: traditional grip

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             19-Aug-00  @  05:43 PM   -   traditional grip

ataiken

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

okay maybe this isnt the right sight for me to be asking anyone about this, but anyway i need someone i can ask questions about personally. im asking about the grips u use when playing drums. in my case im talking about marching snare drum. i have used the normal grip my whole life of playing drums where the left and right hands are the same, and well i went to the dci competition and saw how awesome it looks when they play traditional grip. and maybe all of the college bands use traditional grip so i want to try and be in one sometime. so i decided to learn how to play traditional grip and i gotta tell its the one of the hardest things ive done since i started playing drums. i need help on exactly how i should put my fingers, how to roll as good as i did normal grip, what should i do to practice, and how i can play as awesome as those drum corp guys. i can use anything trust me
thanx

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             02-Sep-00  @  09:09 AM   -   RE: traditional grip

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Honestly, you're on the wrong site. There aren't many if any trap players here, all of us are pretty much tek-hedz. I don't really know proper finger position for matched or traditional, I'm just a bassist, but good luck in your quest. I'd say find a local guy in your area whose playing you are into, and study under him. That supports him, and you at the same time, strengthening your local music community. Besides, fuck the looks. As long as the sound gets out, and you're not hurting yourself doing it, no way is wrong. The only reason for traditional stick position as far as I know was for playing a marching snare, long before people started playing trap. New rig, new technique. Good luck.

Ape

Message 3/4             04-Sep-00  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: traditional grip

Rajas

Link?:  No link

I say go with what you know best. There are certainly subtle differences in style depending on which grip you use, but according to a few people I asked, it's not a big deal. Traditional grip was always taught back in the day, and it DOES look cooler; however, it's all about how YOU feel when you play... BTW, I don't know about 'fuck the looks', pongoid. I mean, it's noble that you care about music only, but consider how many 'artists' out there have/have had looks and NO talent. Yeah, you're right. It just ain't worth being such a phony waste.

Message 4/4             04-Sep-00  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: traditional grip

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Respect

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)