aaa Time signatures - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Time signatures

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             01-Sep-00  @  07:07 AM   -   Time signatures

Fierze

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I know that for dance music, the 4/4 beat is THE most dance-able and easy to make rhythm, but do you know any dance music with 5/4 beats or other strange time signatures?
Iīm about to start messing around with this, and itīs really cool to experiment with a wierd (9/8 for example) rhythm and make it work on a dance floor.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             01-Sep-00  @  09:08 AM   -   RE: Time signatures

swanofnever

i've never heard anything outside of 4/4 that worked/moved people in the same way... some decent acid's 3/4, NIN have a couple fucked-up times (i.e march of the pigs, three bars 7/8 than one 8/8), don't really think that counts as dance though...

Message 3/8             04-Sep-00  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: Time signatures

pongoid

Link?:  Link

Check out Autechre's Chiastic Slide CD. Actually most of Autechre's newer releases usually have some cool odd time stuff that's sort of danceable.

Message 4/8             06-Sep-00  @  12:15 AM   -   RE: Time signatures

somnambulist

Don't know if you dig jazz, but back in the day Dave Brubeck did an album with his quartet called "Time Out," in which most of the tracks feature some use of unusual time signatures; for example, "Take Five" is a tune in 5/4 time, and it grooves on a repetitive piano riff with a saxophone melody on top (you may have heard it before, it was the most popular tune on the album). Anyway, as far removed as that may seem from electronic dance music, it's still good to keep in mind (a lot of jungle uses samples of jazz drums). Another example off the top of my head is "Here Come The Bastards" by Primus. I would think that if you are aiming your music at the dance music scene, the challenge of a track in something like 5/4 is laying down something that has a genuine groove to it which basically has to be done in spite of your meter rather than just flowing with it, as in 4/4, etc. Umm...I guess this is all pretty self-evident, I'll shut the fuck up now.

Message 5/8             06-Sep-00  @  09:15 AM   -   RE: Time signatures

Fierze

The reason I find it interesting is that it is a very different and original idea to incorporate unusual time signatures in dance music. I know there are some insane time signatures in songs by rock or progressive metal bands (for example Dream Theater), but very few Techno- or "dance" artists have tried this, due to the difficulty of making it dance-able.

The beat is the key. As long as it is only a bassdrum, I could just put a melody in 5/4 on top of it and it would be a 5/4 song! Itīs harder when you want to put a sh*tload of breakbeats on top of it.

However, I havenīt begun experimenting yet so Iīll get back to you when I get my Delta 66.

Message 6/8             07-Sep-00  @  09:12 AM   -   RE: Time signatures

papa

Link?: Link

Yo-
It can be done. Bionic Booty Productions' stuff is not your typical dance
music, since we incorporate live instruments, but you can find many
instances of odd time signatures in the individual parts. If you go to our
website's listening room, songs such as "Skin on Skin", "Experience", "HB",
and "Mangebobo" have this kind of thing scattered throughout the songs.
My suggestion is to "hide" it in some creative way. For instance - 3/4 over
4/4 works very well as does 5/4 over 4/4 as long as you remember to wait
for three bars in 3/4 for the "ones" to coincide. As with developing any new
writing technique, it just takes time to really feel it - so don't panic if it doesn't
feel good at the beginning. Feel free to e-mail me although I will be out of
commission the next two weeks with any questions. Peace. papa

Message 7/8             10-Sep-00  @  02:58 AM   -   RE: Time signatures

nunchucks

try to place the varied time signatures into a 4/4 beat cycle them through. like do four 3/4 measures and one 4/4 at the end of the bar. basically your trying to fit 16 beats into a bar so if you have 4 measures of 3/4 that equals 12. 16-12 = 4. so then you just fill it up with what fits 4 more beats or one measure of 4/4. and if you really wnat to get into it you can make many beats of varying time signatures in one measure loops(midi or audio) and then piece them together to make your drum track. Around here we call it cycling and although i've hear it used mostly for really technical drum and bass stuff i've heard some stuff(here and there) that would definatley move a danceloor

Message 8/8             10-Sep-00  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: Time signatures

arska

Link?: Link

actually, u can make pretty danceable waltzes in 3/4 time. The problem is, people can't dance any more, they just shake their hands and asses to the loud boom, boom beat they hear in ckubs
------
The waltz, when well executed, cannot be surpassed by any of the more modern dances in point of graceful movement, and has probably been discarded for the reason that the continual whirling in an unvarying movement, which is its peculiar characteristic, produced a dizziness that is avoided by the opportunity afforded in later dances of going in any direction the dancers desire.

right foot in front: Place the right foot forward (count one); then the left forward, slightly turning it inward (count two); draw up the right foot in front of the left, n (count three) place the left foot out (count four); draw the right foot so that the toe may be behind the hollow of the left foot (count five); then turn on the toes, so as to bring the right foot in front of the left, (count six).

The above is intended for the lady; the gentleman executes the same, but commences with the 4, 5, 6, while the lady cutes the 1, 2, 3; turning half round with three, and the other half with three, making six steps in all.

(from the site above)

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)