aaa ? for drumset players into techno - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: ? for drumset players into techno

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             06-Sep-00  @  03:23 PM   -   ? for drumset players into techno

kummerd

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am in a improv jam band with strong influences in trance and ambient music. I currently only use an acoustic kit, but I want to blend some electronic sounds and sequences with it. I want to find out what is a good way to set a tempo of an external sequence on the fly and start and stop the sequence as well. Since we do a lot of improv jams, I won't have a pre determined tempo. I plan to program some generic electronic patterns that can be used in a wide variety of situations. So them in the middle of one of our musical excursions I need to be able to tap the tempo and start the sequence while continuing to play the acoustic kit. What are some components that I should consider for this application. Another interesting feature would be to have the capability to record loops on the fly. If I was to start the sequencer in the middle of a jam play along and then have it continue to loop while I move to another part. Is this possible? Thanks a lot

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             06-Sep-00  @  11:19 PM   -   RE: ? for drumset players into techno

somnambulist

There are a number of units out there that theoretically can do what you're talking about. A lot of newer drum machine/sequencers such as the Yamaha rm1x, Roland MC505 and 303, and the Korg electribes and Quasimidi Ravolution and Sirius have tap tempo buttons that will supposedly match their tempo to what you tap in. I say supposedly because on the unit I tried (MC303) it did not work worth anything. However, the technology may have improved on the newer models. On these kinds of machines you can modify a rhythm by adding/removing an instrument on a particular beat as it goes, but I'm not sure if that's what you mean. Your best bet is to try some out at a music store or something and find out what unit may work for your purposes.

Message 3/3             07-Sep-00  @  09:12 AM   -   RE: ? for drumset players into techno

k

Kahler human clock used to be the one - dunno if it is still made, it takes a click from the drummers kik (or any source) and sets the sequencer tempo to it i beleive - (sounds dodgy to me tho, your drummer'd need to be rock-on and keep a simple kik pattern perhaps if it worked at all)

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)