aaa DIN sync; snycing tb303 to midi clock - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: DIN sync; snycing tb303 to midi clock

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             07-Apr-98  @  09:11 PM   -   DIN sync; snycing tb303 to midi clock

phoang

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have the opportunity to buy a MSQ-100. My question is whether or not I can trigger
my tb303 to START AND STOP with the MSQ-100 via my sequencer? Or is it used
purely for matching the tempo?

Regards,
P!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             11-Apr-98  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: DIN sync; snycing tb303 to midi clock

trz303

Both Start, stop and tempo.

But sometimes the good old msq-x00 are a bit weak with tempo ... I use a Doepfer midi to
sync converter for years and it's working damn fine.
You have some nice internal switches to change the tempo resolution as well ... interesting
for playing a 140bpm song with a 70bpm tb-303 line with a lot of long slides ...

bye
terrorist

Message 3/4             12-Apr-98  @  02:18 AM   -   RE: DIN sync; snycing tb303 to midi clock

Hello , do you know RB-338 ??

Message 4/4             12-Apr-98  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: DIN sync; snycing tb303 to midi clock

Blowdahorn

I have never used the MSQ-100, but I have the old Roland magazines from that era, and I've worked with MIDI and Sync-24. Volume 2 Number 4 (1984) of the Roland User's Group magazine shows a picture of the MSQ-100. Based on that picture, you have a switch that lets you select your Master Clock. It can be either of three things: internal, external, or sync. You would set this switch to "external" and allow your other MIDI sequencer to be the master clock. The MSQ-100 would then be a midi slave, but it should still translate the MIDI timing into sync-24 for your tb303.

As for your question about STOP and START versus merely matching the tempo, which is probably the real meat and potatoes of your question, I don't really know the answer. There were some differences in the way manufacturers (Roland, Yamaha, Korg) would trigger MIDI START or STOP messages signals, but your tb303 is not directly responding to these MIDI messages. Instead it's the MSQ-100 doing the direct responding. And (I may be wrong about this), but I don't think there's such a thing as a sync-24 START or STOP message. There's just a "flutter" that tells a sync-24 device when to go the next increment in time.

Anyhow, until someone comes along that really knows the answer, this may be the best you'll get. But you know what they say about a person armed with only a little knowledge . . .

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)