aaa I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13             03-Jul-02  @  06:21 PM   -   I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine

errata

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

When I've needed it DT's where I go for the answers to life's big mysteries... So here I am.

I'm having a SCSI nightmare. I've got an A3000 hooked up via SCSI to my (influx's!!!) scsi zip drive. The Zip is hooked up to the PC. The PC sees the sampler and the Zip and reads from disks in the zip! No worries, right? hehehe

So when I try to use Recycle, Sound Forge 5.0 or Yamaha's Tiny Wave Editor to look at the sampler, the system crashes, HARD! No warning, no blue screen, just BOOM! The SCSI card is a Siig AP10, their website says winXP already has the proper drivers so it's not that (I hope)...

I've never had probs like this with SCSI before. All the terminations are correct. I really do know what I'm doing outside of the obvious headache this has become.

Any tech heads with knowledge or suggestions would be extremely appreciated! Thanks...

e

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             03-Jul-02  @  06:28 PM   -   RE: I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine

milan

Link?: Link

how much u want for influx´s zip drive? it might become collectable soon  

sorry, i cant help.

Message 3/13             03-Jul-02  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine

b

are you using verion 1 a3k or verzione 2?

Message 4/13             03-Jul-02  @  08:00 PM   -   RE: I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine

k

tuff one... good luck with that, I've got no clues apart from juglging the order of things and making sure your id numbers are set correct I think there is some protocol revolving around id's above & below id6 - can't remember what it is tho, anyone?.. is it the master device stays on 6? and things go above or below that? - damn! - i read this somewhere (not being a scsi expert)

Message 5/13             03-Jul-02  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine

errata

The pain here is that I've used this same config in my old computer with the same ID's and same hardware. Just won't work on XP!!!

Nothing does, I hate it and I want it to go away! Hehehehe.

e

Message 6/13             03-Jul-02  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine

99devils

I think you're thinking that the conroller ID is generally ID 6, and the boot drive is generally ID 5.

I am certainly no SCSI expert though. Does it work without the Zip drive in the loop? I always had problems with MESA and my Akai S2000 when the zip drive was in the chain.

-Craig

Message 7/13             03-Jul-02  @  08:08 PM   -   RE: I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine

influx

yeah try that.

and..youre POSTIVE that the card itself is set properly inside the PC?

Message 8/13             03-Jul-02  @  08:18 PM   -   RE: I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine

errata

As positive as I can be! It reads zip disks from the Zip drive and it recognizes the sampler. This leads me to believe there's some communication going on...

I'll try taking the ZIP out of the loop. It worked on the old computer though...

This is why I rag on and on about hardware being superior. Just shuffling samples back and forth isn't worth this headache...

Thanks for the suggestions...  

e

Message 9/13             04-Jul-02  @  08:37 PM   -   RE: I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine

influx

one of the cables could be bad in there, too.

Message 10/13             17-Dec-03  @  11:39 PM   -   RE: I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine

queasy00

Link?:  Link

e, did you ever solve this problem?

-j

Message 11/13             18-Dec-03  @  05:28 PM   -   RE: I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine

cydonia cell (errata)

Hey queasy...

this is one old thread, man! And what a bitch I was being, I sound like big friggin' whiner in this thread, as I recall, this was driving me crazy at the time... hehehe

well, sort of. I found out out what caused it but I never was able to fix it. My PC was having resource allocation problems and the SCSI connection to the pci port was intermittent (as in, whenever it felt like it)... I was having freaky startup problems with the SCSI card in there as well. And sometimes, my floppy drive would just disappear from the desktop.

I solved the problem, I took the friggin' SCSI card out. I had an HP pavilion, with some "built-in" issues. always counted myself lucky that I was able to use my Multi-port sound card with that computer...

e

Message 12/13             18-Dec-03  @  06:15 PM   -   RE: I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine

craig

You should count yourself lucky that POS didn't explode and burn your house down.

Those are some of the worst computers ever built.. Right up there with Packard Bell...

Message 13/13             18-Dec-03  @  07:56 PM   -   RE: I don' git it! SCSI and my migraine

queasy00

Link?:  Link

heh... yea, i was searching around the forums to see if there was anything i should look out for before getting a scsi card. now i know: hp pavilion == bad.

-j
ps: "You should count yourself lucky that POS didn't explode and burn your house down" -lol!

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)