aaa MSI AMD Dually - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: MSI AMD Dually

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             30-Nov-02  @  12:18 AM   -   MSI AMD Dually

Florburner

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok, I'm thinking of upgrading my system. Here is the shit. I'm thinking of the MSI K7D Master (MS-6501) motherboard / mainboard (whatever ya wanna call it) and I wanna run two cheap durons 1.2 gig (can be had for like $70.00 canadian) at 100 mhz FSB until I can afford / price drops two XP/MP processors. If I look at the MSI main site link below it looks all fine and good FSB at 100 or 133 mhz:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=344&MODEL=MS-6501

BUT, then I look at the USA site (I'm in Canada btw)

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=K7D_Master

and it says the FSB runs at 200 or 266 mhz.

Now if you look at the cpu support page it says the board only supports athlon on a 100 fsb?

I donno am I screwed with this plan. Is there a North American version and a Taiwan version of the board ? I donno the new Pro-rec roll your own is supposed to come out any day....

Thanks for any thoughts
Flor.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             28-Dec-02  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: MSI AMD Dually

Anex

Not sure if your still interested (this thread is a bit old) but it might be a BIOS thing? Things like software controlled FSB are quite easy to up with BIOS updates, I'd imagine it probably will handle higher speeds.
Tho I wouldn't really bother with two Durons as they aren't capable of true dual threading (ie running different bits of the same code side by side) they do more of a fast time sharing thing. I THINK the MP's can true dual process tho, but not totally sure. Personally I'd watch e-bay for a couple of matched P3 Xeon's, be faster and are true SMP's or get a faster single CPU (less hasle) and wait for P4 hyper threading to be available, that is gonna make some SERIOUSLY fast machines  

Message 3/7             29-Dec-02  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: MSI AMD Dually

Stvy

Hi,

I reckon its something to do with the fact that durons are 100MHz FSB but double pumped(==200MHz) just like the P IV is 100 MHz FSB but quad pumped (==400 MHz).

The Athlon XP's and MP's are 133MHz double pumped == 266MHz...

Should all work fine no problems.... Go over to the forums at www.2cpu.com to get ALL the info on dual CPU mobos and procs theres even plenty of threads on running dual durons so you should be sorted....

Cheers

Stvy

Message 4/7             29-Dec-02  @  01:16 PM   -   RE: MSI AMD Dually

Stvy

Hi,

BTW the way the Atlhon XP is the same as the MP with a bridge change which can be fixed I think that 1 of the dual AMD mobos even has a BIOS feature that you can use to stop it checking for MP and not XP's. The both run true SMP. And for music if its not VERY well SSE2 optimised (and little is) the Athlons smoke the P IV.....

Without modifcation the XP wont run dual...

Cheers

Stvy

Message 5/7             30-Dec-02  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: MSI AMD Dually

Flor

Cool! Thanks for the links / info. I actually have the $$ from the holidays to make the purchase. Hmmm
Now its the choice again:
actual monitors
new computer
new soundcard

errr.....
but thats for another thread with much more details  

Flor.

Message 6/7             08-Jan-03  @  02:35 AM   -   RE: MSI AMD Dually

psylichon

Link?: Link

Can I just say, every time I look at the topic of this thread, it gives me dirty thoughts. Surely you can all think of acronyms.

Message 7/7             11-Jan-03  @  12:07 PM   -   RE: MSI AMD Dually

milan

Link?: Link

thats just too sad!

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)