aaa Stereo Pan Law - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Stereo Pan Law

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             25-Dec-02  @  05:06 PM     Edit: 25-Dec-02  |  05:08 PM   -   Stereo Pan Law

Ragnarök

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Cubase SX manual says:

""Stereo Pan Law setting allows you to attenuate signals panned center, by -6 or -3dB (default). Selecting the 0dB option effectively turns off “constant-power panning”.""

I tested it and this is not true. If I pan to the right in mixer view, it decreases volume on the left channel ONLY, the right channel remains at peak. If I mix down a stereo file to mono, then the mono file will be louder where the original stereo one was panned center.

Interesting tho, that if I do this test with a VSTi (i tried with FM7) then the level of the sum of left and right channels is always constant (does not depend on the panning of the original stereo material).

Any ideas if this is wrong / i've overlooked something..?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             25-Dec-02  @  05:12 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

Ragnarök

File?:  No file

just one thingy..

The SX example is panned center then 50% to the right, then 100% to the right.

The FM7 example is panned center, then 50% left, then 100% left.

Message 3/15             25-Dec-02  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

influx

Link?:  Link

has something to do with the fact that in SX "pan" is actually just "balance" on a stereo channel, no?

Message 4/15             25-Dec-02  @  07:59 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

Ragnarök

hmmm.. never thought about any difference between balance and panning. THIS would be the difference?

I checked Logic, it does the same on a stereo audio channel, I mean like SX... Now I have a feeling that panning concerns only mono channels and balance only stereo ones. I'll have a look.

Message 5/15             25-Dec-02  @  08:50 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

Ragnarök

Oh yeah. So balance for stereo channels, panning for mono channels (this is where panning law applies).

Message 6/15             25-Dec-02  @  11:20 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

influx

well, no tho...I "think" that if you have a stereo track in SX, which means L/R are panned hard automatically, then the pan law comes into play? or are you saying even then it doesnt?

hey..if youre interested, I scored a plugin that allows you to adjust the pan width on stereo tracks. Can send it to ya if you want

Message 7/15             25-Dec-02  @  11:45 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

Ragnarök

Yeah, that would be great! I'll send you a mail.

About the panning issue, for mono tracks the panning law applies, for stereo tracks there is no panning law, so if you pan it to the right then the volume of the left channel is reduced, while the volume of the right one does not change.

Message 8/15             13-Jan-03  @  02:01 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

BJT

Link?:  No link

Someone sometime ago complained about getting a 6dB drop when mixing through Cubase.

The reason maybe that Cubase drops things by 6dB to allow for panning, so that if you pan your channel, the mono volume won't change.

Sonar doesnt' do this apparantly.

Anyway ciao.

Message 9/15             13-Jan-03  @  03:04 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

Ragnar0k

I've been playing around...

Logic also does 0db
FM7 as VSTi does -6db

so it does matter if you pan by the mixer itself or use the internal panning control of a VSTi / effect.

Thing is, Cubase can be set-up to 3 different kind of paning "rule": 0, -3, or -6 db but this only affects tracks with mono source on the mixer.

Message 10/15             13-Jan-03  @  04:30 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

k

er... hu.. huhu uh... if a STEREO synth outs a signal panning LEFT will not send some of the right channel left, or vica versa. - pan control is just a balance, pan left and right decreases, pan right and left decreases use a mono signal and it's a bit different surely? (dont call me Shirley!!)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 11/15             13-Jan-03  @  04:31 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

k

well logicaly in my brain that seems... logical anyways, could be wrong tho.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/15             13-Jan-03  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

Ragnar0k

[image file]

Same 440 HZ mono Sine testtone on 3 mono channels, panned hard left, center, hard right.

Panning rule is set to -6db under project settings.
So the center panned channel sounds definetly quieter. (if only SX could have a bit more "precise" metering facilities :-)

Message 13/15             13-Jan-03  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

Ragnar0k

[image file]

The same setup, with stereo samples on stereo channels. No panning law applies, works exactly like k described  

Message 14/15             13-Jan-03  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

Ragnar0k

[image file]

Internal panning of FM7 (looks like it uses the -6db scheme as well), on stereo channels (no panning on mixer).

Message 15/15             13-Jan-03  @  09:39 PM     Edit: 13-Jan-03  |  09:51 PM   -   RE: Stereo Pan Law

Ragnar0k

Battery: 0db (no panning law)

Absynth: -3db

ok, now I feel I should stop and make some music instead  

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)