aaa Combining filesystems(FAT32 & NTFS) - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Combining filesystems(FAT32 & NTFS)

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             27-Dec-02  @  01:08 PM   -   Combining filesystems(FAT32 & NTFS)

Fierze

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

My Harddrive (30GB) has 2 partitions, one for Windows and applications (10GB) and one for Music files only (20GB).

During my recent installation of Windows XP I was asked if i wanted to convert my Windows partition to the filesystem NTFS instead of the earlier FAT32 system. I decided to do this, and now I am curious about how this will effect my other partition that is still using the FAT32 system.
Could it cause problems or any other reduction of speed/performance when running my DAW (Logic 5)??

Thank you!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             27-Dec-02  @  02:09 PM   -   RE: Combining filesystems(FAT32 & NTFS)

milan

Link?: Link

i dont really know the theoretical background on this but i recently set up a recording station for someone with an NTFS windows partition and a FAT32 one for audio, and it works perfect. hope this helps.

regards, m.

Message 3/8             27-Dec-02  @  03:47 PM   -   RE: Combining filesystems(FAT32 & NTFS)

Fierze

It helps   Hope mine will work perfect as well then...

Message 4/8             28-Dec-02  @  12:57 AM   -   RE: Combining filesystems(FAT32 & NTFS)

R.A.T.

XP is good in that it allows you to see both types of file system. I've got the same setup because stupid bootmagic will only work on a FAT32 partition.

Only word of warning is that NTFS can't be seen from DOS so hope your OS doesn't fuck up big time.

On the other hand, I find it fragments a lot less and I prefer it for audio stuff.

Message 5/8             28-Dec-02  @  01:18 AM   -   RE: Combining filesystems(FAT32 & NTFS)

beds

Link?:  Link

bootmagic can do it all, the only thing you have to be wary of is that once you set it to ntfs (with some benefits but i've no idea how beneficial it is for audio) YOU CAN'T GO BACK to fat32. as well as dos, win98 can't see an ntfs partition/drive either.

ntfs afaik is mainly about security (sharing folders etc.)

this could be one of my old wives' tale windows partial knowledge things though ...

dt pc guru(s) will sort it out i'm sure  

Message 6/8             28-Dec-02  @  06:00 PM   -   RE: Combining filesystems(FAT32 & NTFS)

Anex

Yeah, NTFS is a security thing, lots of stuff on the web, google if your interested.

Generally NTFS is better than Fat, more stable, less prone to corruption, easier for check disk to repair etc.
I use my primary disk as NTFS (win 2K) and have my two audio disks as Fat 32, that way I can stick them in other machines and read the audio straight off if it won't fit on zip, thats just personal pref. tho, doesn't really make any difference how you run to be honest, just, as said above, you can't read NTFS under DOS but that probably isn't much of an issue if your on XP.

Message 7/8             29-Dec-02  @  12:34 AM   -   RE: Combining filesystems(FAT32 & NTFS)

R.A.T.

Beds man, Bootmagic can manage any type of partition but has to be installed on a FAT32 partition. Dont know why, got the latest version and everything.

Still beats the windows bootmanager hands down. Being able to select which partitions are visable to others is sorted.

In the end, the FAT vs NTFS thing only really comes into play if your running a file server, other than that its personal preferance. It's not going to magicly change your audio recording life either way.

Message 8/8             29-Dec-02  @  11:25 PM   -   RE: Combining filesystems(FAT32 & NTFS)

Fierze

Ok thanks everyone. I'll just stick to the setup I have now then...

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)