aaa Audio I/O solutions... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Audio I/O solutions...

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             28-Dec-02  @  05:54 PM   -   Audio I/O solutions...

Anex

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm looking to get a fairly decent audio I/O for my 'puter to run alongside the SB Live (used for sound fonts & will be used a mixer card).
Everythings changed since I was last in the loop, so I've narrowed down to two options, a USB external jobbie on a USB hub (the Edirol UA20) which would be useful for my guitars plus the extra MIDI ports would be nice and obviously external DACs/ADCs are great cuz they shouldn't pick up that stupid high pitched whine alot of sound cards get, or the other options are the M Audio Audiophile card (although surely this is affected by interference doing all it's conversion inside the machine?) then at the top of the price range which I will stretch to if it's worth it is the ESI Waveterminal 192m which seems rather tasty as it's got lots of I/O and external DACs.
Obviously other suggestions welcome but these are the three that caught my eye. Are there any catches with USB bits? It's not the fastest connection on the planet and seems like it might not handle full duplex/multi in operations too well? Is it best left to Firewire/USB2? I guess the ESI looks best at around £200 but it is another 50 odd notes more than the others.
Please help!  

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             13-Jan-03  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: Audio I/O solutions...

BJT

Link?:  No link

Although the Audiophile does do its interfacing inside the machine, it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. Sound quality is great, drivers are great. Much better than the Soundblaster ADC.

Message 3/4             14-Jan-03  @  12:10 AM   -   RE: Audio I/O solutions...

k

Link?:  Link

well you dont get so much thruput on usb so a card would be always the better choice.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/4             16-Jan-03  @  01:01 AM   -   RE: Audio I/O solutions...

k

Link?:  Link

mind you most of the usb devices are stereo i/o right? - so it'd be enuff for that. We should review a few of them - I'll ask thomann if we can get a few to review & see what happens. we're due for a 'batch'

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)