aaa caviar hd repair - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: caviar hd repair

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             25-Feb-03  @  12:33 PM   -   caviar hd repair

milan

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hi all. i got this 20gb WD Caviar drive from a video production company to have a look and see if i can do anything about it.

situation as follows: allegedly the drive wasnt inserted properly into its removable cradle while starting up the pc or something like that, and now it is unreadable from windows. it is however recognised by bios. WD diagnostics disk tells me following:

"data in dos boot record does not match data in partition entry"

so it looks like a MBR repair or partition table repair job? or something else?

if you have any ideas please step forward, it'd be nice if i could get it working again!

thanks, m.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             25-Feb-03  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: caviar hd repair

Si

You could try a low level format. WD use some custom software that runs from a floppy, so if that can detect the disk, you could try following these steps...

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=RLQMJKCg&p_lva=&p_faqid=111&p_created=1007136825&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTQ5NSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWRhdGEgaW4gZG9zIGJvb3QgcmVjb3JkIGRvZXMgbm90IG1hdGNoIGRhdGEgaW4gcGFydGl0aW9uIGVudHJ5JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9NCZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfc29ydF9ieT1kZmx0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

Hopefully that link will work!

Message 3/7             25-Feb-03  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: caviar hd repair

Si

Okay, don't use the clickable link cos that goes somewhere completely different. Just copy the longer link into your browser

Message 4/7             25-Feb-03  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: caviar hd repair

milan

thanks, thats not what i'm looking for though. tools wont even run (because of the message mentioned above), and owners would like to see the data rescued if anyhow possible. still, thanks for the reply Si!

Message 5/7             25-Feb-03  @  05:06 PM   -   RE: caviar hd repair

Si

I did see another thing on that site about transferring data from one corrupt disk to another good one - if that's any good to you I'll check it out, though if the tools won't see it then it's unlikely that it'll work at all.

Message 6/7             25-Feb-03  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: caviar hd repair

99devils

have you tried fdisk /mbr - this will rewrite tyhe master boot record of the drive.

-Craig

Message 7/7             25-Feb-03  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: caviar hd repair

milan

not yet. i'm takig it to a friends place tonight so we'll see if we can majick something up   tanks for the tips guys.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)