aaa Creating vocal hamonies with Cubase - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Creating vocal hamonies with Cubase

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             29-May-03  @  12:38 PM   -   Creating vocal hamonies with Cubase

Steve

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi there,

Does anybody know how to create artificial 3 part harmonies within Cubase VST/SX. I have used the Steinberg Vocal Hamoniser plugin, but when the vocal pitch changes and you play the relevant note to repitch the harmony it goes all jumpy and detuned for a few milliseconds.

How do you get those phat, lovely layered vocals which are in litteraly every commercial song these days.

Thanks,
Steve

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             29-May-03  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: Creating vocal hamonies with Cubase

digital rust

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

i've used the waves ultrapitch befoe nd worked great.

Message 3/12             30-May-03  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: Creating vocal hamonies with Cubase

dARKSTATe

Something like Steinberg VoiceMachine might be able to sort you out provided you don't push the harmonizer to extremees... its a commercial plugin though

Message 4/12             04-Jun-03  @  02:26 AM   -   RE: Creating vocal hamonies with Cubase

man called clay

what commercials steve?

i think therein is the problem.

Message 5/12             05-Jun-03  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: Creating vocal hamonies with Cubase

k

probably ithe commercial stuff you hear is actual vocalists who can sing, then treated thru Vocalign, auto-tuner and other 'smoothing processes most likely in Pro-tools dsp processing.

Actualy I recently got those 3 steinberg vocal pitch/harmoniser products with a view to comparing them.

Message 6/12             05-Jun-03  @  10:48 AM   -   RE: Creating vocal hamonies with Cubase

Steve

To "man called clay"

I don't understand your point, "I think therein is the problem".

Litterly every commercial producer uses this techinique i.e Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins, Jermaine Dupri, Timberland, Heartless Crew etc etc.

I have found out what to do it now anyway and it has to be done manually for the proper effect. You record the main vocal at the root note of the song. This is the loudest layer and is send down the middle of the mix.

You then record two harmonies pitched a fifth above the root note and then pan each one mid left and right. These layers should be much lower in volume than the root vocal so they just provide warmth and colouration in pitch and tone.

Then for added spice you add another layer an octave higher than the root note and keep it dead centre and just eq it into the whole stack.

Then use Auto Align in Pro Tools to sync them all up to create one huge, fat, lush, sweeping vocal harmony.

Message 7/12             05-Jun-03  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: Creating vocal hamonies with Cubase

psylichon

Or record all the harmonies seperately, and autotune and compress the hell out of them, perhaps using Vocalign in PT nowadays. I would bet that this technique is used more than artificial harmonies in professional music.

Message 8/12             05-Jun-03  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: Creating vocal hamonies with Cubase

Steve

That's wot I just said geezer. You record the root, the fifth and raised octave from the singer(s). Sync them with Vocal Align and import them into Protools.

It has to be done manually tho, a computer cannot repitch a vocal like a singer can do over say, 3 or 5 semitones.

Minor changes can of course be done with the Antares Plugin.

Message 9/12             05-Jun-03  @  05:37 PM   -   RE: Creating vocal hamonies with Cubase

psylichon

ah i c what you mean now. right on...

Message 10/12             06-Jun-03  @  05:48 AM   -   RE: Creating vocal hamonies with Cubase

Heartless

"Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins, Jermaine Dupri, Timberland, Heartless Crew "

What are Radio 1xtra DJs Heartless Crew who've only ever released 1 single and a compilation of other peoples tunes doing in the same sentence as those three?

Message 11/12             06-Jun-03  @  09:13 AM   -   RE: Creating vocal hamonies with Cubase

psylichon

hate to say it... bein' in philly an' all... but darkchild isn't doing so hot lately either.

M.Jackson's Invincible, anyone?

Ick

Message 12/12             06-Jun-03  @  10:42 AM   -   RE: Creating vocal hamonies with Cubase

k

mebbe, (heartless) but well known & ultra-booked live where they made/make their name.

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)