aaa the right soundcard for a livesetup - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: the right soundcard for a livesetup

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             07-Jun-03  @  05:00 PM   -   the right soundcard for a livesetup

chris

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i am in the process of putting together a PC that i will be using as part of a live setup. Most of the music will be generated on the PC using reason. I was just wondering if there were any opinions on good soundcards for live purposes and a good sound. also, any suggestions on certain specifications pertaining to Ram, processor speed or other components that might affect a live performance wouild be appreciated. -Chris

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             09-Jun-03  @  02:48 PM   -   RE: the right soundcard for a livesetup

99devils

Link?: Link

You're going to want to build something stable. You're a brave man. I'm a computer programmer and I'd never trust a PC on the stage with me  

-Craig

Message 3/7             10-Jun-03  @  09:45 AM   -   RE: the right soundcard for a livesetup

k

not really, just get some card with decent connectors which all decent cards, (even budget ones) pretty much have now.

I dont agree they are unreliable tho if built well, and make sure the PC in question isnt loaded to the gills with crap - Like dont even add any plugins you wont use. But using REASON it's pretty stable as you can get - I'd consider using a lappy unless you want to play REASON's sounds live during the set in which case a fast asio RELIABLE laptop interface is both rare and expensive compared to using a desktop machine where tons of cheap reliable cards exist. also make sure you have a filter to plug your PC into live, between the mains plug/extension and the PC to block spikes & crap in the mains.

Message 4/7             10-Jun-03  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: the right soundcard for a livesetup

99devils

Link?: Link

To each his own, but for about the same $ you can get a used Virus, and a used RS-7000 or MPC and you KNOW they ain't crashing.

-Craig

Message 5/7             11-Jun-03  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: the right soundcard for a livesetup

k

true, but if your material is composed on PC then you gotta port it all over etc, not a huge task, but it has to be done. Or, he could get a cheap hardware sequencer and just copy over his compositions as midifiles and use it as a midifile-player only, like mebbe a s/h soundbrush from Roland etc or an old QX, MC50, MC500 etc

Message 6/7             12-Jun-03  @  04:10 PM   -   RE: the right soundcard for a livesetup

chris

well, i am dedicating my PC just to Reason, so i am not too worried about crashing it.

about the filter though...

i was considering hooking the PC, along with a sampler and groovebox, into a power mixer and sending the main outs on that to the PA. is this plan possible?
this also brings up another question. is it possible to synch up the computer, sampler and groovebox together? they all support MIDI, i am just not familiar with synching up hardware. thanks for the advice. if this stuff is documented anywhere for me to read, please let me know. -chris

Message 7/7             12-Jun-03  @  05:21 PM   -   RE: the right soundcard for a livesetup

Yonce N Mild

use the pc only for music and nothing else ever especially no internet or e-mail. get yourself a good power conditoiner/ups apc makes some good ones. I'm not too familiar with reason but I assume it will send midi sync. If thats the case you can just get one of thoes serial to midi converters run midi out to the grovebox and the thru to the sampler (or the other way around). The way this will work is when you hit play on reason your external gear will start playing (in sync with reason) whatever pattern is currently loaded. In order to do this however you would have to have external gear that had it's own internal sequencer.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)