aaa ACPI - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: ACPI

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             09-Jun-03  @  08:45 AM     Edit: 09-Jun-03  |  08:46 AM   -   ACPI

psylichon

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

SOOOOoooo....

I had this big session yesterday. Worked with this client many times, but only as an assistant. Usual engineer dude isn't available yesterday, so I get the gig. Usually, we record to regular engineer dude's Pro Tools LE rig, but seeing as he isn't available, I offer my Sonar rig with new (to me) 2408 interface... hook up a couple adats and we got 24 ins and outs.

That is, if the thing would boot. You see, the last time I reinstalled everything (a perverse pleasure of mine), I instantiated ACPI and installed WinXP with that enabled. Everything ran beautifully. I tested my system out all week to make sure it was prepared.... recorded over 2 hours of 24-bit, 24-track with no problem.

Then, when I got my computer to the studio, the BIOS settings were all reset to default, and windows wouldn't boot, saying my BIOS wasn't ACPI compatible. I had a boot DVD that I Norton Ghosted over, but it did no good. I had to "recovery" install XP, hitting F7 in text mode to silently switch to Standard Computer setup as opposed to ACPI.

I post this as a warning. When I shut off my computer before the night of the session it was FLAWLESS. Then it just fucking flipped on me. BEWARE OF ACPI. The thing is running flawless now in "Standard Computer" mode without a hitch, and I will never set it up any other way.

psy

p.s. - what the FUCK happened???

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             09-Jun-03  @  02:32 PM   -   RE: ACPI

Influx

gremlins. bastids

Message 3/8             09-Jun-03  @  02:41 PM   -   RE: ACPI

99devils

When BIOS settings are lost it's usually the battery. I'm not kidding, there's a battery that applies power to the motherboard while the box is unplugged that can cause all sorts of difficult to diagnose problems. I'd bet it was jarred in transport and your BIOS settings got popped out of whack.

Did you try resetting the BIOS to default? before you did any work?

-Craig

Message 4/8             09-Jun-03  @  04:31 PM   -   RE: ACPI

psylichon

Well I kinda assumed that, too... but if that were the case, then surely it should have worked after setting the bios parameters back to how I had them. In fact, ACPI is enabled by default, so as far as that was concerned, nothing was changed.

I tried all sorts of BIOS settings configurations, and NOTHING would allow XP to boot.

psy

Message 5/8             10-Jun-03  @  09:40 AM   -   RE: ACPI

k

Link?:  No link

i had the opposite experience. As a tester for Dt I spent some time a few months back installing XP PRO in 'Standard PC' mode, and it setup ok, then gradualy problems started until it failed to boot OR to 'repair' - thing is, MSOFT advise ACPI AND PLUGnPLAY OS to both be switched OFF in the BIOS as XP ignore the bios... so perhaps re-install in NORMAL mode with those switched off.

Message 6/8             10-Jun-03  @  03:35 PM   -   RE: ACPI

psylichon

That's what I ended up doing. It tells you when you have this problem that you need to run text setup again and hit "F7" while it's booting from CD to force it to install in standard PC mode. You can also do this from the control panel... that is if you can boot, even into safe mode (which I couldn't in my case).

Message 7/8             10-Jun-03  @  05:28 PM   -   RE: ACPI

psylichon

Got it.... hardware errors are spooky innit.

Seems the last time I shuffled my motu pci324 card around, I didn't screw it in. When I plugged the interface into the card before my session, I pulled the card ever so slightly out of its slot. Bye bye ACPI.

I found it when I had another random error today... bye bye secondary IDE controller! ARGH... be careful with those cards. VERY sensitive!

psy

Message 8/8             10-Jun-03  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: ACPI

99devils

I hate to sound like your mother (or your wife), but you got pretty lucky. That could easily have hosed the card or motherboard.

Offer a sacrifice to the gods or something  

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)