aaa in case anyone knows... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: in case anyone knows...

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             13-Jun-03  @  02:13 AM   -   pci ide + boot problem

milan

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

this one's for you pc geeks  

i built a new music pc for a video company, and now we have a small problem.

their system HD used to be on a pci card ide controller, and now it wont work without it in the new pc. when i try to mount it on the primary ide buss, windows (2k) starts booting and then encounters an error along the lines of "not valid boot drive" or something simmilar. when i attach it to the pci ide card it boots normaly.

anyone knows whats missing from the windows preventing it to boot? anyone worked with pci ide controllers?

any ideas much appreciated!

regards, m.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             13-Jun-03  @  02:30 AM   -   RE: in case anyone knows...

psylichon

tell us what IDE card and what mobo models you have.

Message 3/9             13-Jun-03  @  03:17 AM   -   RE: in case anyone knows...

Influx

I was gonna say do a LL format on the old one? then...

oh jeez like I know what Im talkin about

Message 4/9             13-Jun-03  @  03:29 AM   -   RE: in case anyone knows...

psylichon

I'm just curious because I've had problems with older CD-ROM drives and newer IDE controllers (on a mobo). Never heard of an IDE controller not being backwards-compatible for an older hard drive though. More details, please.

Message 5/9             13-Jun-03  @  08:03 AM     Edit: 13-Jun-03  |  08:06 AM   -   RE: in case anyone knows...

Mick

A shot in the dark but do you need to specify, perhaps in BIOS, which drive is the boot drive or the order of search for the boot drive? What about DIP switches on the drive that would specify its role as slave or master? If there is more than one drive in the system then the other drive's DIPs may be set to "master".

Message 6/9             13-Jun-03  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: in case anyone knows...

milan

mm yeah... it aint easy to figure out is it :/

unfortunately i dont have the name of the ide card with me, but we'll try to sort something out today.

it looks to me like the pci card has overtaken some importent bit in the booting sequence, and windows cant manage without it. dunno what it could be...

anyway, cheers for looking guys. i'll let you know how we get on.

Message 7/9             13-Jun-03  @  02:47 PM   -   RE: in case anyone knows...

99devils

I think you're on to something there. You could try removing the card, booting to the Windows CD, and doing a repair installation, but Windows generally isn't happy when you change out hings like that (SCSI or IDE cards, RAID cards, etc).

-Craig

Message 8/9             13-Jun-03  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: in case anyone knows...

k

Link?:  No link

yeah, that card would prolly be installed as a 'scsi device' or controller durng the initial NT install blue-screen section when it asks wether you wish to do so (standard procedure for adding a RAID setup drive array), so perhaps the bios is boot-sequenced accordingly? - check your boot.ini file perhaps also for a clue?

Message 9/9             14-Jun-03  @  01:32 AM   -   RE: in case anyone knows...

milan

Link?:  Link

yeah, i think these guys would be best off with a clean install altogether. after all, we changed the mobo and the processor. pretty much the only bit left from the old pc is that pci ide controller.

but thankfully the machine works, and it works like mad. we did the logic platinumverb test today: 16 stereo tracks and 50(!!) PV's, and we were able to bounce it too. so yippie   

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)