aaa pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             12-Aug-03  @  08:41 PM   -   pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

r33tr0n

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i'm having dire times trying to successfully get my pci 324 to work in, at first, my gigabyte ga-7vaxp board, and now my asus a7v8x! same problem, error code 10: device cannot start. the card works in my old k7s5a. can anyone help me? any suggestions?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             12-Aug-03  @  08:48 PM   -   RE: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

psylichon

Link?: Link

in the device manager, select to view connections by resource and see if it is sharing an interrupt with another device. I assume you've tried running it with nothing installed but the 324? Sharing is the only thing I can think of that would cause this problem with one motherboard over another. Are you running ACPI or standard PC? Have you done the ol' PCI shuffle to try and find an interrupt that works for you?

Message 3/15             13-Aug-03  @  12:33 PM   -   RE: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

k

sounds like drivers arent in properly... got the latest correct drivers? - if running XP, is 'Plug & Play OS' in the bios turned OFF? (should be)

put the card in PCI slot 3 (3rd one down from AGP slot)

Message 4/15             14-Aug-03  @  02:29 AM   -   RE: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

fink

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/prorecording.nsf/1e2b604b36ecbe9486256a950010445d/ef08977a2c4fe2b786256d7c000ebca7?OpenDocument

Check that link. If it works for you...

Well your my new bitch!

Message 5/15             14-Aug-03  @  02:31 AM   -   RE: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

Fink

Use the link in the msg body the other had too many characters for that feild.

Fink

Message 6/15             14-Aug-03  @  10:50 AM   -   RE: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

k

well lets add that info here so that it can be retreived by a search in future:

this then from Pro-rec forum
------------------

The PCI-324 has problems interacting with PCI busmastering on VIA-chipset motherboards (even new ones - mine's a KT400 and it's not working.)
The problem can be completely and utterly fixed by changing the BIOS setting for "PCI POST WRITES" to "DISABLED" in every single case that I have seen, in addition to one other instance of this I have seen on the forum.
Unfortunatly, those of us who (now) own motherboards that do NOT give this option in the BIOS, are completely out of luck. Not amount of other troubleshooting will fix this problem.

------------------------

Found it! It's WPCredit. There's a link in the article at www.overclockers.com/tips105/, and the article will give a really quick look at how it works. You'll have to somehow locate the PCR file for your specific chipset though. Using the wrong PCR file can result in changing the wrong bits and a mucked up system. Fortunately, WPCredit's changes aren't difficult to undo, but who knows what catastrophic results are possible. As always, use at your own risk (iow, don't come crying to or blaming me!), and make ABSOLUTELY sure you understand the settings you change before changing them.

---------------------------------

Alright guys, thanks to the help of people here, I've fixed the problem!

I used WPCREdit, downloaded the PCR files for the KT400, and changed the hex value to turn OFF Pci Post Writes.
Then the MOTU started working instantly and completely. Even I could hardly believe my eyes. That was it, just like that. So I programmed the value into WPCRSet, so it loads automatically on start-up, every time. I also emailed ASUS about providing the setting in their BIOS.

And MOTU still doesn't even realize exactly what the problem is, or refuses to admit it, anyway. Hah.

Anyway, if anyone has any of the following problems, I'd be happy to help walk them through fixing it. It should work with any chipset for which there is currently a PCR file... which is pretty much anything.

Problems it will fix:

- Inability to use the MOTU for any audio at all with the following symptoms...

- PCI-324 Wave driver showing up with "Device cannot start (Code 10)" in Device Manager.

- MOTU Console gives error "... cannot communicate with the PCI-324 card. Please contact MOTU technical support."

- MOTU Console occasionally works, but the interface lights up random LED's when initialized and fails to pass any sound through except distorted buzz.

my email address is dasbin@shaw.ca

Thank you everyone for assisting me figure this thing out!

------------------------------

So that's from Pro-rec forums.... seems naught MOTU knew about this when released or it is implied that they did by some users at pro-rec.... But then really, MOTU is a MAC thing mostly - anyways more stuff:

The programme: WPCREDIT is here:

http://www.h-oda.com/

WPCREDIT is the program that edits PCI Configration Register.
The settings corresponding to each chip set/device are saved in a separate file,
so if you prepare separate message files for each chip sets, it could be used to edit various chip sets.

Here's a guide to using WPCREDIT:

http://www.danball1976.com/tweaks/tweak1.htm

------------------

Whats does it mean, 'PCI Post Write' ?

When 'PCI Post Write' is Enabled, writes from the CPU to the PCI bus are buffered, to compensate for the speed differences between the CPU and the PCI bus. When Disabled, the writes are not buffered and the CPU must wait until the write is complete before starting another write cycle.

---------------

I'm still looking for more info on EXACTLY how to change that with WPCREDIT if you don't have it in the BIOS as a menu item....

Message 7/15             14-Aug-03  @  10:53 AM   -   RE: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

k

here's more:

CPU to PCI Post Write

Common Options : Enabled, Disabled

Details

This feature controls the CPU-to-PCI write buffer. If this buffer is disabled, the processor writes directly to the PCI bus. Although it may seem like the faster and better method, that isn't really true.

Because the processor bus (which runs from 100MHz to 266MHz and beyond) is many times faster than the PCI bus (33MHz), any CPU writes to the PCI bus will have to wait until the PCI bus is ready to receive data. This prevents the processor from doing anything else until it has completed the transaction.

Enabling this feature allows the processor to immediately write up to four words of data to the CPU-to-PCI write buffer so that it can move onto another task without waiting for those four words of data to be written to the PCI bus.

Now, the data in the write buffer won't reach the PCI bus any faster than usual. This is because they will only be written to the PCI bus when the next available PCI cycle starts. But the difference here is that the entire operation can now occur without tying up the processor.

To sum it all up, enabling the CPU to PCI write buffer frees up CPU cycles that would normally be wasted waiting for the PCI bus. Therefore, it is recommended that you enable the CPU to PCI write buffer.

Message 8/15             14-Aug-03  @  10:58 AM   -   RE: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

k

this seems to be the line:

[70:7]=CPU to PCI Post-Write 0=disable 1=enable

Message 9/15             14-Aug-03  @  11:02 AM   -   RE: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

k

File?:  [image]

[image file]

so, it'd be this one to change to '0'

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/15             14-Aug-03  @  02:41 PM   -   RE: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

psylichon

Link?:  Link

jeeezus!! lol! I hope it works, but what a pain in the ass...

Message 11/15             15-Aug-03  @  02:03 AM   -   RE: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

k

heh..... quicker than fitting a new Mobo or buying a new soundcard tho.... MOTU should stick to mac's I reckon  

Message 12/15             15-Aug-03  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

99devils

They should just test their stuff on PCs, other than the "reference" Intel implementation. They've become lazy because they only had to deal with Macs for so long  

Works fine on my ECS motherboard though.

Message 13/15             16-Aug-03  @  06:16 AM   -   RE: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

psylichon

Yeah mine too... guess i'll have to keep buying k7s5a's  

Message 14/15             18-Aug-03  @  05:38 PM   -   RE: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

99devils

I actually bought my MOTU because I had a K7s5a and I knew yours was working. Otherwise I would've never bought that interface.

I may have to switch back to Intel in the future  

Message 15/15             18-Aug-03  @  11:41 PM   -   RE: pci-324 in a7v8x or ga-7vaxp

r33tr0n

Wow. This method involving WPCREDIT seems to have cured what ailed me. Strangest bloody thing. After changing the hex value, i opened the cuemix console and refreshed, everything worked. (this was on the a7v8x).
On the ga-7vaxp, however, this worked only to a point: the system would only then let me record in stereo (the mono option was gone entirely (??)), and the motu console no longer had the MME option. system stability was worse than with eh a7v8x, but in essence, did in fact "work".
great, thanks guys for the wonderous information!

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)