aaa Cutting audio files - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Cutting audio files

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             16-Aug-03  @  11:48 PM   -   Editing audio files in arrange..?

Josh

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm trying to save some disk space by deleting parts of audio tracks that are quiet/empty.
When i'm splitting these audio files using the scissor tool in the arrange window, does Logic create new files out of the remaining parts, or is it non-destructive (The whole original audio file, complete with pauses is left on my disk, and the scissor work is just for the on-screen appearance)?
There should be a setting for this somewhere, I can't find it though.. does anyone else know?
Btw, I'm using Logic 5.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             17-Aug-03  @  02:59 AM   -   RE: Cutting audio files

Brett Electric

Cutting up regions in the Arrange window is non-destructive - it only alters the region that will be played back. The original full file remains.

Once you have trimmed all the blank space from your tracks in the arrange window, goto the audio window, open the "edit" menu, select "Select unused" then hit delete. All the unused regions will be banished from your audio window. No audio is actually deleted however - see the next step.

Then select/highlight all the regions that remain in the Audio Window, open the "Audio File" menu, select "optimise files". Be careful because this is destructive. It will delete all the unused areas of your audio files, leaving a 1 second buffer at either end of the used regions for crossfading etc.(this buffer can be increased or decreased when you optimise).

If you want to preserve an audio file that is not in your current mix, make sure you stash the file in the Arrange window somewhere (in a muted track) so it doesn't get erased.

I find that I often delete files from my Audio Window without deleting them from the Hard drive. To clean these up, in your Audio window, open "Audio File", select "add audio file". Goto the folder where you have recorded the audio files for the current project - any files not in your audio window will be displayed. If I want to use these takes, I will add them, If not, I will delete them.

Hope that helps

Message 3/3             17-Aug-03  @  11:04 AM   -   RE: Cutting audio files

Josh

That was excactly what I was looking for (And some more useful info), thanks!!

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)