aaa Optimal Spec Question - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Optimal Spec Question

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             18-Aug-03  @  11:46 PM   -   Optimal Spec Question

r33tr0n

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm wondering what specs on my computer are the most important to upgrade. I'm mostly using ACID and running mixes of 30-35 stereo 24bit channels (most with plugins). This was clearly way too much for my k7s5a to handle (with its low max processor speed, fsb, etc.). I upgraded to the asus a7v8x w/ 2500+(barton) processor and things are running fine. I'm wondering what other componentry would play a part in efficient speed. I have a 10GB (ide) drive for my OS and a 60GB for my .wavs (both are 7200rpm). i have 512MB of DDR400 ram. What components are essential in what parts of audio processing? thanks for your help, with your info hopefully I can better understand what parts of my computer really affect what.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             18-Aug-03  @  11:53 PM   -   RE: Optimal Spec Question

psylichon

Link?: Link

sounds like you're pretty well set for some serious horsepower. However, if I'm not mistaken, the K7S5A will go up to 2600+ with a new BIOS flash. I could be wrong, but I was checking this out the other day to see how high I could go meself and I think that's what I found.

other than what ya got, I would recommend a high quality soundcard with solid, low-latency drivers. What interface are you using now?

Oh, and how fast was your old processor?

more memory would be good if you ever plan on using soft synths and samplers.

Message 3/9             19-Aug-03  @  06:45 AM   -   RE: Optimal Spec Question

r33tr0n

my setup involves the MOTU 2408mkII (pci-324). WinXP Pro. My old processor was an athlon 1700+, running at about 1.43GHz, 256MB DDR 2100. WHen i would play mixes with lots of stereo tracks, 24bit, with plugins, it would skip a lot. even with buffer cranked. I assume it was the processor upgrade to 2500 barton, or maybe the ram to 512 ddr400. if not, maybe the fsb? i don't know. . . any thoughts?
thanks by the way
ps, how easy is a k7s5a bios flash?

Message 4/9             19-Aug-03  @  02:03 PM   -   RE: Optimal Spec Question

99devils

You really can't get away from having to bounce things even with really fast CPUs.

BTW Psy - You're right I believe. 2600s should run on the k7s5a. Nice little motherboard - I think I'm going to buy a second for my gaming and general purpose machine. F1 2002 and Vice City run too slowly  

Message 5/9             20-Aug-03  @  07:55 AM     Edit: 20-Aug-03  |  07:56 AM   -   RE: Optimal Spec Question

psylichon

I would bet anything your skipping had to do with DMA settings on your hard drive than anything else.

For some reason, with WinXP and the K7S5A, it WILL NOT allow you to enable DMA on your drives by default. You need to download a utility called SISIDE.EXE (which is wicked hard to find, but i will search my favs for the link if you want it) that will enable UDMA for all drives that support it.

But this is all ex post facto since you're onto another board, innit. But you're not going to notice much more improvement beyond what you got now. To get real horsepower, I would get a second, medium-power computer to run softsynths and use a switcher (of course, you need new audio and midi hardware then.... ) I'm curious what your leap to a 2500 netted you in horsepower, though, as I'm considering dropping a 2600 in my ecs now  

I'm curious as to why you're running at 24-bit when the mkii 2408 only does 16-bit? or am i wrong? I thought the mk3 went up to 24.... or maybe just to 96k. nevermind. I dunno. But are your samples all 24-bit?

Message 6/9             20-Aug-03  @  07:57 AM     Edit: 20-Aug-03  |  07:57 AM   -   RE: Optimal Spec Question

psylichon

btw, i can get 30-35 tracks with plugins out of my system @ 1800/512mb

Message 7/9             20-Aug-03  @  01:56 PM   -   RE: Optimal Spec Question

99devils

Psy, I didn't have that problem with my K7S5A. DMA is activated here and no special software. I will verify that when I get home, but I recently did a mix with about 45 tracks and disk usage was at like 20%

Message 8/9             20-Aug-03  @  06:45 PM   -   RE: Optimal Spec Question

r33tr0n

Hey
the jump to 2500 made, well, a pretty huge difference, considering all the problems with skipping that disappeared.
The MOTU2408mkII certainly records audio at 24bit, the mkI does 20bit.
But when You're running 30 tracks of Stereo 24 bit audio (each about 5-8 minutes in length), your cpu has a lot to deal with. This is why i believe the jump to 2500 fixed my issues. The rendering time, etc. is obviously faster too, but I'm a patient man. I just need enough headroom to be able to make as large and elaborate mix as I want to without any technical inhibitions.
Most of the tracks I record are stereo 24bit, again: 4-7 minutes in length. very few are 16bit unless they're ghost tracks or downloaded samples. (not a lot of sampling going on, mostly music, long compositions).
PSY: when you run 30-35 tracks on your 1800, are they stereo 24bit? all playing at once? peculiar.
either way, this is all great help. I have an extra 2500 laying around, perhaps I'll throw it in the world's most compatible board (which is lonely in a box), the K7s5a. if I can successfully do all i want to do and not have to use this WPCREDIT stuff for my VIA board, i'll be a happy(er) camper!
thanks again for the thoughts!
99Devils: what do you have running in your k7s5a to run 45 tracks? and again. . what kind of tracks are you using? (st/mon, bitrate, length)? and What SOFTWARE are you guys using? i don't suppose some programs interact better with some hardware? OoooOh. thoughts again please.
(this forum is the planet's most helpful resource.)

Message 9/9             20-Aug-03  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: Optimal Spec Question

psylichon

I'm using Sonar. And, no, most of those tracks are not stereo. I'm kind of curious as to why you would need that many stereo tracks going. Are they all panned hard left and right? What kind of tracks are we talking about here, loops, individual drum hits? Do they all need to be in stereo? And why are the audio tracks so long? No looping at all? I guess I need to hear your music to get an idea of what you're going for.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)