aaa bad mixer or dumb user? - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: bad mixer or dumb user?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             17-Sep-03  @  06:06 PM   -   bad mixer or dumb user?

kasia

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm kind of confused about my small Mackie mixer.
seems that EVERY jack that outputs sound is carrying the Main Out signal, all channels mixed together.

set-up: laptop, guitar and bass into PODS, and sure sm57 all plugged into their own channel

goal: send ONLY the mic/vocal channel (1) to the computer and record it in SF.

strategy: use the "individual channel out" (doubles as channel insert) of mic channel to feed soundcard.

problem: bass and guitar signals from channel 3 and 4 being sent out of channel 1 direct out. along with signal from the mic. hmmm.

I also tried this: plugged Aux 1 send jack into the soundcard and turned up the Aux 1 send dial on ONLY the mic channel. but still guitar and bass signal from other, not-sent-to-Aux 1 channels was being sent out of the Aux 1 send jack into soundcard.

I've tried with all different cominations of channels but the same problem pops up--it seems that EVERY output jack is carrying the Main Out signal.

do I completely not understand signal flow? overlooking some feature of the mixer (1202? I think)

help appreciated.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             22-Sep-03  @  08:28 PM   -   RE: bad mixer or dumb user?

GrooveMonkey

Link?: Link

ok.. what are the main outs of your mackie plugged into?

Message 3/5             25-Sep-03  @  08:13 PM   -   RE: bad mixer or dumb user?

kasia

thanks for reply!

the main outs are not plugged into anything. I use the tape out-->vestax dj mixer--->amp

reading my post it looks confusing. basically, my question is, shouldn't the "direct out" for channels 1-4 carry ONLY the signal in that channel?

and shouldn't aux 1 carry signal only from channels which are sent to aux 1?

Message 4/5             26-Sep-03  @  07:56 AM   -   RE: bad mixer or dumb user?

psylichon

Link?: Link

yes, that is how it should be. Not exactly sure, but it sounds like you have the output of something routed to an output on your mixer (instead of an input).... try to patch things one at a time to eliminate any possible mispatching.

Message 5/5             26-Sep-03  @  10:48 AM   -   RE: bad mixer or dumb user?

k

yes, if the master L/R OUT's from the mixer are plugged into the amp --> speakers.

you say:

-----

strategy: use the "individual channel out" (doubles as channel insert) of mic channel to feed soundcard.

problem: bass and guitar signals from channel 3 and 4 being sent out of channel 1 direct out. along with signal from the mic. hmmm.

----

you mean after recording and when you playback the recorded file in the PC it has all the other channels on the recording, NOT only the channel that was insert-sent to the PC soundcard IN ??

in that case the mixer sounds ed

otherwise, could it be that you simply are not listening to the actual record source which is being recorded?... how do you monitor the PC INput to hear what is going to the card and after recording/playback from the PC ?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)