aaa Panning... Drummer or Audience? - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Panning... Drummer or Audience?

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             22-Oct-03  @  06:50 PM   -   Panning... Drummer or Audience?

qyme

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm working more with perspective/depth and such in my mixes. I wanted to know how most of you do your panning. I know that most if not all of you (since you create dance music) are using samples or synthetic/generated sounds. Even so, do you try to pan using more of a 'drummer's perspective' mix or from an 'audience perspective'? Or, a combination...depending on the song? Better yet...who simply does not care and just pans indiscriminately? Thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             22-Oct-03  @  08:37 PM   -   RE: Panning... Drummer or Audience?

milan

Link?: Link

umm... for "real" drums the 'audience perspective' seems to be the norm nowadays. i think someone recently criticised me for mixng the other way around (my preference).

but for dance... that thing is pretty much out. i tend to work in "wide mono", eg. having sounds more or less in the middle but using FX to lend them a broader sound.

Message 3/10             23-Oct-03  @  01:08 AM   -   RE: Panning... Drummer or Audience?

d

I tend to pan it audience perspective when a kit's involved. got an old rogers kit on the other side of the glass at the moment -- piccolo snare and a timbale where the one rack would be. whee!

Message 4/10             30-Oct-03  @  02:32 AM   -   RE: Panning... Drummer or Audience?

Mindspawn

I tend to go for audience perspective on real drums and the like, but for dance, I like to "fill out" the sound spectrum with drums/percussion wherever things seem a wee bit empty. That said, Milan is spot on about current trends in mixing pretty much mono kits....

Pax

Message 5/10             30-Oct-03  @  12:13 PM   -   RE: Panning... Drummer or Audience?

sprout

Milan - wide mono? What the hell is that you big poof! Look poster, just have all the drums in the middle apart from the shakers, hi perc (rims, etc) and maybe a hi hat at about 11 oclock. Plus I never pan drums past 9 and 3 o clock. Wide mono - hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahhahahaahahahahhahahahaahahahhahahahahahhahh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 6/10             30-Oct-03  @  01:22 PM   -   RE: Panning... Drummer or Audience?

milan

umm... yes... go see a doctor, he'll help you understand i'm sure

Message 7/10             27-Nov-03  @  02:29 AM   -   RE: Panning... Drummer or Audience?

k

I get what he means by WIDE MONO tho (because he explains it)

makes sense even tho it's a contradiction too

if you center most stuff and use fx etc to get width-space - then when summed to mono, if the fx aren't too drastic you shouldn't get phase problems

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/10             29-Nov-03  @  07:02 PM   -   RE: Panning... Drummer or Audience?

nbutter

so just to be obtuse, when you say thicken with fx, do you mean, say, adding delays and panning the delays from side to side? or adding stereo reverb? i mean, i don't know what else this would mean, but i'm pretty new to all this, so i just wanna be literal...thanx

and where are y'all putting those shakers if not straight up the middle?

thanx

Message 9/10             30-Nov-03  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: Panning... Drummer or Audience?

beds

Link?:  Link

this week i have been mostly panning my shakers to the right, guiro to the left.

no, really, i have.

Message 10/10             30-Nov-03  @  07:19 PM   -   RE: Panning... Drummer or Audience?

psylichon

well that's just silly, everyone knows guiros go on the right.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)