aaa Audio delayed. Latency? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Audio delayed. Latency?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             25-Nov-03  @  10:00 PM   -   Audio delayed. Latency?

Johan Landgren

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm havin a problem with audio recording in Logic 5. When I record an audio track the recording ends up something like a fraction of a second later in the song than it's supposed to. I didn't have this problem on my old machine (500 mHz, Win 2k) but do now on my new one (2.66 gHz Win XP). I still use the same sound card, an SB live.

Any suggestions? Please e-mail me! Thanks a lot!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             26-Nov-03  @  03:16 AM   -   RE: Audio delayed. Latency?

k

Hi Johan

eee....er... well apart from saying that it seems a shame to NOT get the full-on Logic experience by going for even a quality BUDGET card such as a cheap Hoontech Value.... which driver are you selecting for the SBLive in Logic PCAV setting on audio hardware driver 1 tab?

Message 3/8             26-Nov-03  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: Audio delayed. Latency?

Johan Landgren

I can choose between EASI MME and EASI direct sound. I've tried both, with the same result. When I use EASI MME I can adjust the latency, which I've tried. When changing the default (200 ms) to something like 20 ms I get a message saying that there's a problem trying to synchronize audio and midi (I am trying to record a midi track in logic through my synth back into audio in logic).

What sound card would you recommend, and about how much would that cost? I'm just a poor student, you know  

Message 4/8             26-Nov-03  @  03:21 PM   -   RE: Audio delayed. Latency?

k

Link?: Link

aha! - that (200 ms) is in the EASI - converter panel - leave that alone, it's not actualy the latency setting for the card

ok - so now I see you are playing midi OUT of Logic, and triggering the synth, then recording it back into logic..

well first you do have a proper win xp driver for the card right?

what slot is the card sitting in? - have you tried it in slot 3

this is a Pentium machine?

the cheapest card I can think of which offers all-in-one (midi & audio i/o) is the hoontech dsp24/96 value which is now 149 euros - an excellent card!

one of the regulars here teaches at a music college and they just bought about 12 of them and they are fine on all the machines they have installed them in (athlon & pentiums)

you can get seriously low latency on them for playing softsynths live & adding fx in realtime to incoming audio etc etc

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/8             26-Nov-03  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: Audio delayed. Latency?

Johan Landgren

Yes, my computer is a P4, and yes, I do have a windows xp driver.
Since I've got a shuttle chassis I've only got once PCI slot...

Message 6/8             26-Nov-03  @  06:05 PM   -   RE: Audio delayed. Latency?

Johan Landgren

I just found something that might be a clue... I tried using the built-in sound card on my mainboard, and when I use this for both in- and output the recordings work properly.
Does this mean that it's a driver problem of some sort?

Thanks a lot for trying to help me, by the way. When I've made my first platinum selling album I'll be sure to buy a new sound card  

Message 7/8             30-Nov-03  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: Audio delayed. Latency?

admin

Link?:  Link

well ffrankly the motherboard AC97 is no worse a pair of outputs sonicaly than the SBLive i'd say - and itt can work at 44.1, and isn't the SBLive fixed to 48k recording - so assuming you're not getting any latency advantage either with the SBLive why not stick with the on-board audio i/o for your monitoring & dump the SBLive?

simple solution if the above is true - or try the KX (is it) Project driver whioch have asio

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/8             30-Nov-03  @  01:53 AM   -   RE: Audio delayed. Latency?

admin

Link?: Link

there's a link - I used the asio driver for a while and I could get a low/er latency - it that was a while back so no doubt they've tweaked 'em further.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)