aaa ooer... got me knobs at last :) - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: ooer... got me knobs at last :)

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             16-Dec-03  @  04:38 PM   -   ooer... got me knobs at last :)

milan

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

eh... after an eternity of dreaming about realtime control for my vsti's i just brought a Evolution UC-33 home, and managed to create a first custom map less then 15 minutes later. 24 knobs, 9 faders... so far they all seem very responsive and precise enough to use for programming synths or just plain jamming. oh, and instalation was painless- attach to usb port, turn on, and its there and ready to use. no extra drivers or wall-warts needed.

will let you know, erm *hear* how i get on with it  !

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             16-Dec-03  @  08:45 PM   -   RE: ooer... got me knobs at last :)

Stefan

Congrats

Have fun

Message 3/8             16-Dec-03  @  09:53 PM   -   RE: ooer... got me knobs at last :)

0dB

Link?:  No link

Nice one, enjoy
Mmmmm, been eyeing up one of those Novation controllers or the new Korg one.

Does it really make that much difference ? I must admit, despite having bought several softsynths I use my hardware much more as I find it easier to tweak, even with SX's less easy MIDI controller editing than the VSTi editing.

Maybe this type of thing could get me using them more (that and ABL )

Message 4/8             16-Dec-03  @  10:24 PM   -   RE: ooer... got me knobs at last :)

milan

aye... well i think it probably might, since you're into h/w control and all.

i must say, its a relief programing sounds by ear and hand again, and not by staring at the screen and tiny readouts all the time.

i'm happy so far... and now for that uQ preset

Message 5/8             17-Dec-03  @  11:43 AM   -   RE: ooer... got me knobs at last :)

milan

update:

due to a small tip found on m-audio's website i found out its very easy to make presets for controling all of logic's native fx, eq's and such. i wasnt even thinking i was gonna use this for mxing, but as you know sweeping eq's by hand cant be passed up on  

Message 6/8             17-Dec-03  @  01:17 PM     Edit: 17-Dec-03  |  01:19 PM   -   RE: ooer... got me knobs at last :)

dARKSTATe

Its fairly well known I'm a fan of the Kenton stuff... the only thing about using it for mixing duties as well is you may find it a great idea in theory but without motors it simply doesn't work as well.. having to reset the controls each time is a pain - though for sweeping filters/eqs I guess it isn't so bad!

As for RAT, I've been banging on to you to try it out for some time (even offered to loan you my Freaks if you were interested mate) - seeing as I never heard back from you I guess you weren't interested.. then I stumble up on this here post and well... I suppose my offer wasn't good enough eh?

On a serious note, the main things I find are worth looking for on control surfaces for VSTIs are:

1) Programmability/ease of programability (sounds like you've got that one down Milan!)  

2) Profile memories.. the main thing that makes surfaces better than just assigning midi controls on your keyboard etc... memories means you don't have to "learn" the midi assignments each time! Just switch the thing on, dial up the profile of choice and you're away!

3) Profile support; no sense in having one if profile support is limited or non existant - kenton are fairly good (I should know I did them a load of profiles not too long ago!! ), but I've heard others are notoriously bad for offering updates and the soft synth manufacturers don't always provide as much midi implimentation details as their hardware counterparts do, so its not as easy to make profile maps!

And forget some VSTIs having Midi learn.. while this is generally a moderately good feature, it makes it awkward for those setting up profiles and spreading them because controls could be assigned to any midi CC, and the idea is to get the surface to TRANSMIT the correct CC not have the synth receive any old CC...

Message 7/8             17-Dec-03  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: ooer... got me knobs at last :)

milan

1) yup

2) 33 memories, all overwriteable

3) profiles? takes ten minutes to make you own innit  

not a bad value for 200euros i think. normaly you get 16 knobs/faders for almost as much.

Message 8/8             18-Dec-03  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: ooer... got me knobs at last :)

k

Link?:  No link

yeah, lucky boy.. I'd love a good controller board (have to find space for the bloody thing tho)

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)