aaa changing the time signature... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: changing the time signature...

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             30-Dec-03  @  10:44 PM   -   changing the time signature...

cydonia cell

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

OK... so I've just received S# and I love the look, the feel, the mixer channel on the left!!! And the individual EQ's...

i'm stil trying to figure out how to automate effects, I assumed that would be via an envelope... but it doesn't appear to be any different than S2 in that.

But that's not the point of the question.

I'm a freak... I work in odd time signatures a lot... and I can't seem to get S3 to play nice. I set the sig to 7/4 and it has seven beats in piano roll... so I record a 7/4 loop and it plays back in 4/4!!!! Of course, this will not do.

So what's a dumb monkey to do? Am I missing something? I believe it may be playing in 7/4 for the first measure and then drigting back to 4/4 from there...

I never had this problem in my old Sonar...

wazzup?

e

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             31-Dec-03  @  04:58 AM   -   RE: changing the time signature...

psylichon

Link?: Link

I get that sometimes, too... I'm not sure what causes it (usually happens when I try to change meter after already having recorded stuff), but you can fix it in the meter event list (View-Meter/Key). Just erase the event that changes the meter back to 4/4.

Easiest way to get an envelope for a parameter in a plugin is to right click on the plugin, choose "arm parameter," and hit "arm all"... hit ok then go into automation record, open the plugin and wiggle the control you want to automate, hit stop. An envelope should appear, disarm all parameters and shape away. Actually, I just tried that and if you arm all parameters you will get envelopes for everything, which can kinda be confusing. But if you're having trouble lining up the virtual knob with its "automation name" you can at least use the "arm all method" to see the line that wiggles, hover the cursor over it, get the proper name, ctrl-z and then arm only that parameter, blah blah blah....

Another cool feature that i just realized the other day is "convert midi to shapes" (bottom of the edit menu).... this will take any CC message in a midi track and convert it to an editable automation envelope. So basically if your synth or controller transmits it, you can make an envelope for it, and that's pretty fuckin' cool in my book...

Message 3/6             31-Dec-03  @  12:13 PM   -   RE: changing the time signature...

sitar

Yea open the Time Signature or Meter view or whatever it's called. You probably have a 4/4 remnant sitting in there for some reason. If you've never used that view, it's an awesome place to slow things down or speed them up or change bpm abruptly. That's most likely where you'll find and fix your problem.

Message 4/6             31-Dec-03  @  04:03 PM   -   RE: changing the time signature...

craig

I get similar glitches with the tempo map too... Usually after setting a tempo change in MIDI data I've already recorded.

-Craig

Message 5/6             31-Dec-03  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: changing the time signature...

spectre

Yeah, I get that with tempo changes sometimes too. It's annoying.

For automating effects, I use a slightly different method than psylichon. After I've added the effect to the audio track, I right click in the track view for that specific track and at the bottom of the menu is the name of the effect. Click on the name of the effect and it will bring up all automatable parameters and you can check which ones you want to automate and the color of the envelope.

Message 6/6             01-Jan-04  @  05:54 AM   -   RE: changing the time signature...

cydonia cell

Cheers guys... thanks

I know all about the meter/key change view... this is a problem when I start a new project... first off, I'll change to 7/4... then it goes and play's back out of time! Shrug... good suggestions one and all, thanks for the input... I'll noodle around with it a bit more and see what I can do to fix it!

BTW.. thanks for the tips on the efx automation. It's one of the reasons I got S3... you all just put me up a bit on figuring it out

Thanks

e

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)