aaa Free or not too free? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Free or not too free?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             31-Dec-03  @  02:51 AM   -   Free or not too free?

sitar

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

So here's the question. Probably the best free TB303 emulator in the world is Creakbox and I agree. I have a few and Creakbox is the real deal. But now comes the not free AudioRealism - ABL Bass Line Synthesizer. Is it better than Creakbox? I think there is some added functionality so in that sense yes. What about sound? Does it sound as much like a 303 or maybe even more (if that's possible) as Creakbox?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             31-Dec-03  @  02:50 PM   -   RE: Free or not too free?

k

Link?:  Link

yes it is closer, very very, but who knows what creakbox will do with their engine with future releases.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/9             31-Dec-03  @  04:37 PM   -   RE: Free or not too free?

sitar

must try it then. Can't imagine how it will sound. Creakbox is sweet.

Message 4/9             02-Jan-04  @  08:35 PM   -   RE: Free or not too free?

Yonce N Mild

Link?:  No link

I agree creakbox is sweet. Iv'e only used it a little bit the only problem I've had with it is I can't save presets. patterns yes but presets no maybe i'm missing something like I said I've only used it a little bit. I can't see myself paying for a 303 clone or any soft synth for that matter with all the free stuff out there really the posibilities are unlimited without spending a dime. I don't need an exact 303 clone just somthing for screaming acid basslines...........That being said I might be convinced to pay a little scratch for a vst version of rubber duck =)

Message 5/9             06-Jan-04  @  11:49 AM   -   RE: Free or not too free?

sitar

I grabbed it. It is sweet. I used it in the track I posted yesterday. Problem is I couldn't get the midi implementation worked out so I wound up not doing any filter sweeps in the track LOL. The sound is great though. I'm just having an idea of one more thing to try with cc controllers. But what happened is the only way I could get it so far to respond to a controller was to use midi learn. I did cutoff first which worked fine. But then when I did rez with controller 2 the cutoff no longer responded to the recorded midi from controller 1 and rez responded to midi from both. Then after giving up and erasing all the controller messages, the cutoff changed every time I played the track. Couldn't figure out what it was responding to or what was causing it. I had to record cutoff movement at the beginning of the track to keep it in place. Probably something ridiculously obvious going on but didn't have the time to really look much at it.

Message 6/9             06-Jan-04  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: Free or not too free?

psylichon

Sonar 3 right? Use the new assignable FX controllers. It's easy with audio plugins, but with synths there's one thing that may not be obvious: you have to insert the DXi into an audio track, not the synth rack.

See, in S3, they give up up to 4 parameter controls per track (expand the FX section of the console until you see them), but only in the console. If you insert the synth in the synth rack, there doesn't seem any way to be able to remotely control parameters... so put it in an audio track and you should be able to right click one of those FX controls and assign it to whatever automateable parameters exist in the ABL. Make sense?

Message 7/9             06-Jan-04  @  06:42 PM   -   RE: Free or not too free?

sitar

I'll try it. Thanks. I think it's only in as a vsti though. Not a dxi. I'll have another look.

Message 8/9             06-Jan-04  @  06:54 PM   -   RE: Free or not too free?

sitar

Tried it. Works. And you get envelope options for all the baseline parameters in the audio track. Didn't get that through the synth rack. Thanks!

Message 9/9             06-Jan-04  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: Free or not too free?

psylichon

one thing I've considered but haven't tried, is to use the 4 assignable MIDI controllers in the MIDI control track for the VSTi/DXi as another 4 mod sources to give you a total of 8. After all what is automation data but controller information? If you can figure out what CC# your synth parameters respond to, you should be able to use the MIDI and Audio mods in conjunction innit?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)