aaa MIDI Echo in Sonar 3 - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: MIDI Echo in Sonar 3

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             08-Jan-04  @  09:16 PM   -   MIDI Echo in Sonar 3

craig

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

OK, I've come across a really annoying and kind of destructive "feature" in Sonar 3 dealing with the MIDI echo. First of all, let me say that I'm not a fan of MIDI echo at all. I ALWAYS just turn it off. In Sonar 3, this parameter is no longer project-wide but it's now a button on each individual MIDI track. The default is off, and that's cool. But, when you select a track, your only choices are "auto" or "on", which basically seems to mean your choise is between "on" and "on". Last night, I was working on a track, tweaking a patch on my Nord Lead, only to find out when I skipped to a different section of the track that a different Nord patch was all fucked up. It turns out that I had selected the track of Nord patch #2 while I was tweaking patch #1 - all of the knob movements I made to patch 2 were retransmitted to patch thanks to MIDI echo.

Does anyone else experience this phenomenon and is there a way around it, besides being careful about which track I have selected in the track view!?!

-Craig

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             09-Jan-04  @  04:24 AM   -   RE: MIDI Echo in Sonar 3

psylichon

Options, Global, General tab.... "Always Echo Current MIDI Track"

I may be wrong, but i think that option is new for S3.

Message 3/9             09-Jan-04  @  01:47 PM     Edit: 09-Jan-04  |  01:47 PM   -   RE: MIDI Echo in Sonar 3

craig

Will that allow me to totally disable the functionality, though? The manual lists a procedure for "disabling" it, but all it really does is not enable input echo for all tracks.

Also, I've got a problem with tracks output to my Nord Lead - the colume winds up cranked every time you hit play, even if you disable the volume slider on the track.. That never happened in Sonar 1

-Craig

Message 4/9             09-Jan-04  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: MIDI Echo in Sonar 3

psylichon

seems to me you can still manually echo midi after disabling that option I mentioned.

And as for the Nord thing, do you have "zero controllers when play stops" enabled in Options - Project - MIDI Out? Whether you do or not, try the opposite setting.

Message 5/9             10-Jan-04  @  07:24 PM   -   RE: MIDI Echo in Sonar 3

craig

No, I got that problem fixed. Disabling the volume and pan controllers works, but it seems like I have to be rewound all the way to the beginning of the project or it doesn't seem to take effect.

What I really want to do is totally turn MIDI echo OFF COMPLETELY.

Still really haven't found a way to do that but I'm getting used to working around it.

-Craig

Message 6/9             10-Feb-04  @  06:17 AM   -   RE: MIDI Echo in Sonar 3

psylichon

You totally can, just as I described above. Did you do it?

"Options, Global, General tab....[disable] 'Always Echo Current MIDI Track' "

Then just don't click on the midi thru button on any MIDI tracks and yer golden... no echo.

Message 7/9             10-Feb-04  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: MIDI Echo in Sonar 3

craig

You rule Psylichon. That did it. You know I had to read through that list twice before I found the setting. I suppose I always looked for something under "MIDI Settings" not the global settings.

This is going to make my life with Sonar so much better  

Message 8/9             12-Feb-04  @  07:06 AM     Edit: 12-Feb-04  |  07:07 AM   -   RE: MIDI Echo in Sonar 3

psylichon

shoulda listened to me a month ago ya ninny!

Message 9/9             12-Feb-04  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: MIDI Echo in Sonar 3

craig

I did, or I tried... But like I said I looked under MIDI settings and found something that sounded similar to what you were saying and assumed that was it.. I didn't think about a global setting for audio AND MIDI monitoring because the things were seperate in the past.

Thanks anyways

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)