aaa More Than One Pair of Monitors? - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: More Than One Pair of Monitors?

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             10-Feb-04  @  08:23 PM   -   More Than One Pair of Monitors?

Cydonia Cell

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

OK... I just got fat 125 watt 8 inch monitors... M-Audio BX8's

I still have my 100 watt 6 inch monitors... Event PS6's

I've always been a live musician with the studio being something of an afterthought. But I've recently made the decision to go deeper into studio production, etc... it's not like I don't know my way around a studio... but I'm guessing here and there on some issues.

Anyone want to gimme some tips on how to take advantage of two sets of monitors? I know there are some good reasons for this, but is there a great point to doing this or would I profit from selling the Events? got no reason to sell them if I can use them... hell, for this old live muso it's awfully nice having 550 watts in the studio! Feels like home... hehehe

e

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             10-Feb-04  @  08:58 PM   -   RE: More Than One Pair of Monitors?

craig

Link?: Link

I don't see much value in having them on at the same time. It'd be nice to have another set of monitors to a/b mixes on.

How do your like those BX8's?

-Craig

Message 3/6             10-Feb-04  @  09:05 PM   -   RE: More Than One Pair of Monitors?

cydonia cell

I'm diggin' 'em. They're damned fine... I'm treating the studio this weekend, baffles and things on the walls behind the monitors and on the vaulted ceiling above the mixer. Way more bass presense... I think I developed some bad habits with my PS6's, which I love to death, but they just didn't accurately reflect my bass. But the BX8's are smooth, nice response... I did a LOT of comparing before I got them. I'm lovin' 'em!

You might dig what I've been up to Craig! Been working with an old friend, and we're comingling his taste and tendency for EBM (his phrase) with my taste for trippy breakbeat. Kind of an Orb meets Project Pitchfork on Acid kind of thing... I have no idea who our audience might be (heheh) but it's a lot of fun!

e

Message 4/6             11-Feb-04  @  12:40 AM   -   RE: More Than One Pair of Monitors?

influx

Link?:  Link

Im no expert, but...I dont think the difference is big enough to warrant having them both.

the only time Ive ever been in a pro studio they had Auratones, a pair of 824s (that ended up replaced by BM15As) and a pair of HUGE Tannoys with 10" lows, horn tweeters, and either 15 or 18" subs

now THAT was fun to mix on!

Message 5/6             11-Feb-04  @  01:48 PM   -   RE: More Than One Pair of Monitors?

craig

Link?: Link

e - Keep me in the loop. I dug your stuff before, so I'm sure I'll dig the new stuff. I've actually been in much more of a dance mood lately myself.. My newer stuff is toned down and more into a newer Front Line Assembly kind of groove... Should be getting some of it out and about soon.

-Craig

Message 6/6             13-Feb-04  @  12:11 AM   -   RE: More Than One Pair of Monitors?

panama

keep em for a while... the events are plenty for mid-range... and its cool to hear the music on second pair.

I got some Alesis Monitor Ones and they blow me away. I chose em over the M-Audio b/c the mixes played on em were absolutely terrific. I listen to my new recorded stuff on my old pair of TOA's and I usually get a better response.

If you hear your mxies sounding better on yer old pair... thats prolly good news.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)