aaa drum kit recording tips - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: drum kit recording tips

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             19-Dec-05  @  11:50 AM   -   drum kit recording tips

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

This is from the bloke who's last bit of work was for Kaiser Chiefs. Get it in the monthly focusrite e-zine. Some drum kit recording info:-

Cenzo Townsend’s tips to recording drums
16 December 2005

At Olympic Studios, Cenzo’s guitar/drum booth is becoming a bit of a major attraction for the bands that go in there.

“We recorded the drums [for Employment] in a very small, dry room which is also our guitar booth – a room with a wooden floor – but it suited the sound. It was through necessity to be honest but it turned out very well and we were very pleased with it. We’ve recorded drums in there for people like Graham Coxon so we knew what the room was like and recorded it via a lot of vintage gear and ribbon mics, and the room went through a ribbon mic that was fed through the Liquid Channel which was a big part of the sound in the end.”

So the room’s limited space and acoustic has made it an ideal place to give a unique character to Cenzo’s drum sound although, as he is quick to point out, there are some basic principles you can apply anywhere to get great, interesting sounds when recording a kit. Here are Cenzo’s top drum recording tips…

• “I like to use ribbon mics on overheads because they are not dull and quite natural sounding. You can push them quite drastically without them sounding horrible.”

• “Position them as you can in terms of the sound you want and then record them flat without any compression.”

• “I try and get an overall sound with those two mics and then fill in with a bass drum and snare drum. The snare drum might use a [Shure SM] 57 for top and bottom.”

• “Take a 57 and point it at the shell of a snare directly above the bass drum and then compress the nuts out of that depending on how loud the hi hats are as effectively you are pointing them at the height of the top of the snare. That can work very well.”

• “The room has to lend itself to the kind of sound that you want to achieve. If you want a big sound or a tight sound the room obviously plays a big part in that as drums are so loud and therefore the reflections are very loud so you need a lot of screening.”

• “However big the room is I like to use a lot of screens around the drums so you get the best of both worlds; you can have a big sound from your overhead room mics if you have a big room and within the screen everything is actually quit tight.”

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             19-Dec-05  @  04:54 PM   -   RE: drum kit recording tips

k

Link?:  Link

yeah, well... shame they band are complete shite innit - wonder what mic's he used for the rest (kik etc)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/6             19-Dec-05  @  11:23 PM   -   RE: drum kit recording tips

milan

Link?: Link

the screen tip i like... otherwise, i kinda got bored of all the you-have-to-use-this-for-that kinda tips. bring back the DIY and lotech aproach

Message 4/6             20-Dec-05  @  12:47 AM   -   RE: drum kit recording tips

k

Link?:  Link

• “I try and get an overall sound with those two mics and then fill in with a bass drum and snare drum. The snare drum might use a [Shure SM] 57 for top and bottom.”

• “Take a 57 and point it at the shell of a snare directly above the bass drum and then compress the nuts out of that depending on how loud the hi hats are as effectively you are pointing them at the height of the top of the snare. That can work very well.”

that is quite lo-fi tho, cos in essense he's going for something organic 'live' & unified, with re-enforcement from close mic-ing rather than the other way round by the sound of it. Like that second tip

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/6             20-Dec-05  @  03:02 AM   -   RE: drum kit recording tips

psylichon

Not bad... I don't agree with all of it though.

First of all, the Liquid Channel on the room... well obviously Focusrite paid them to use it (or gave it free) because of all reports I've read that is a very one-dimensional pre. Yes, it is supposed to imitate EVERY classic pre, but the word is that it does it in a very digital, fake sort of way. Not many "big boys" are using the thing as far as I know.

And ribbons as overheads... natural perhaps, but "not dull"? Well, compared to condensers, yeah they kinda are. I will agree that they take EQ better. But you also need a good sounding room, given their figure-8 pickup pattern.

If your drummer is good, try the
"Glyn Johns method"... this relies almost entirely on the overhead sound, but it ensures phase integrity, and with a drummer who controls his dynamics, you will get.... well... THAT sound. Read the dude's credits.

A lot of people use a "modified glyn johns," adding tom or room mics as desired.

For me, the most "innovative" technique I use is M/S on the room mics (and not as far away as you would think)... very flexible and sounds great (in our room at least). And an Audix D6 is a great relatively cheap mic for kick. Oh and cheapo Senn. E609 silvers on toms work quite well too! And I prefer a Beyer 201 on snare instead of 57... meatier, bigger, and better-sounding off-axis rejection for the hihat.

Message 6/6             20-Dec-05  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: drum kit recording tips

damballah

I've been doing the 2 overheads (SDCs) to get the basic kit sound , but with both equidistant from dead center on the snare. About 2 1/2 drumsticks away -- measured with a piece of string -- kinda behind the drummer instead of out front. Pan 'em L-R, snare's right in the middle with a nice stereo spread. Bring up the kick and the snare mics to fill it out. This is for a rock band I'm recording right now who want a pretty natural "in the room with the drums" sorta sound. For the reggae band, I add close mics to the toms and timbale and lower one OH to the hat, reposition the other for mostly cymbals, so that everything can be separated for dubbing.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)